Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How to get an SBU ID card?

To obtain a card, please bring with you one form of government-issued photo identification (e.g. a driver's license, passport, etc.) to one of the following Campus Card Office locations. You can also contact them through the link below about uploading your photo and creating the card online.

West Campus:Student Financial Services Office, Suite 207, Student Union

East Campus: Health Sciences Center, Level 3, Room 162

For more information, click here.


2. How to get a parking permit?

If you park on campus, your vehicle must be registered and display a valid parking permit. You should not park on campus until you have a valid parking permit properly displayed on your vehicle. Violators are obligated to pay all parking tickets incurred and should not assume a favorable decision. The University only recognizes parking permits issued by Parking Services or official disabled parking permits. All other parking permits are invalid.

To apply for a faculty parking permit and for more information on Parking, please click here.


3. How to log into Brightspace?

D2L Brightspace has been selected as the new Digital Learning Environment (DLE) for all SUNY schools.  

You’ll be able to add content like before but also gauge student progress and learning with several Brightspace tools.

is a web-based course management system. It is accessible at  from any computer with Internet access, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Use your NetID and NetID password to log in. Your NetID is different from your Stony Brook ID number. More information on Brightspace.


4. How to access the SOLAR system?

The SOLAR system can be used to submit grades, review the class roster, access time and location of courses. A Stony Brook University ID number is required to log in to the SOLAR system. Employees can find their ID number on the Stony Brook University ID card they are issued at the time of their hiring. To access SOLAR system, please click here.


5. What is the university's submission of grades policy?

Faculty is required to submit grades according to the schedules and procedures determined by the University governance, and the Registrar and approved by the Office of the Provost. These schedules and procedures are included in the University publications listed here.


6.  How to enroll for the Direct Deposit program?

The Electronic Direct Deposit Program offers employees greater flexibility in choosing a financial institution and provides a cost-effective method of servicing the banking needs of Stony Brook employees.

Eligible employees may elect to direct deposit their net salary into an account at any bank, savings and loan associations, Federal or State-chartered credit union, or similar institution that has Automated Clearing House (ACH) capabilities, and chooses to participate in the New York State Electronic Direct Deposit Program. All Financial Institutions are required to have funds available at the opening of business on payday.

On payday, you will receive an Advice (statement). The net amount on the Advice is the amount which was credited to your account. For more information on the Direct Deposit program, please click here.


 7. How to login to the Stony Brook email account?

Open a Web browser and type Authentication is required through Stony Brook's Single Sign-On page using your NetID and NetID password. For more information, please click here.


 8. How to access the University Policy Manual?

The University Policy Manual provides a detailed description on various topics like submission of grades, tuition benefits for employees, use of campus facilities and use of university name or logo. To access the University Policy Manual, please click here.


 9. How to join Faculty/Staff debit plan in Campus Dining?

Your meal plan may be activated via Campus Dining Services. You can add money to your ID card here.  For more information about Faculty/Staff dining  visit here


 10. What support services are available to students such as academic advising, counseling and student accessibility support services?

All of us at the College of Business are committed to supporting the mental, emotional, and physical well-being of the members of our community. If you find yourself struggling with a difficult personal issue, please know that there may be resources at the University that can assist you. Here are a couple of listings of helpful offices and services available to you:

Mental Health & Wellness
To speak to a mental health counselor, you can call the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at (631) 632-6720. Counselors are available 24/7. To speak to the Survivor Advocate, call (631) 457-9981.

COVID Guidance and Resources
Stony Brook's Stronger Together website offers a comprehensive directory of resources and services.

Please remember, we're here to support you in any way we can.


11. What technology is in the classroom I am teaching in?

Classroom Technology & Support Solutions provides numerous services to enhance and facilitate classroom instruction. Service counters in Frey Hall and the Health Sciences Center each provide different aspects of support.


12. How do course evaluations work?

Faculty can receive results of course evaluations after grades are submitted, which allows them the opportunity to incorporate student feedback into the next semester’s courses.To access the course evaluation system, please click here.


13. What services are available to faculty through the Center for Excellence in Learning & Teaching?

The Center for Excellence in Learning & Teaching provides support to faculty and instructors on a variety of issues like file storage, course design, workshops, equipment borrowing, OpScan Test Scanning and computer support. For more information, please click here.


14. How to order textbooks and other course materials.

The University Bookstore is located in the basement of the Melville Library. For more information on hours of operation, course material requisitions and deadlines for textbook requisitions, please click here.


 15. How to access a general listing of resources available to employees.

For a general listing of university resources available to new employees, please click here.