Business Honors Program (BHP)
Qualified students can graduate with honors in the College of Business. Admission requirements for the honors program are an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher. To graduate with honors requires an accumulated GPA of 3.5 or better, fulfillment of the courses below and presenting at URECA. Students’ progress and performance will be monitored throughout the program. Students who perform poorly (below a cumulative 3.5 GPA) in their academic studies will be counseled and warned that they are in jeopardy of being dropped from the BHP. Following at least one warning, such students will not be permitted to continue in the BHP. Students entering as a business major, either as an existing Stony Brook student or transfer student, will be evaluated under the same criteria for curriculum and admittance to the BHP.
Required Courses (each 3 credits):
- BUS 495 Business Honors Program Thesis (Capstone Experience)
- BUS 496 Business Honors Program Thesis (Capstone Experience)
The College of Business Honors Program Capstone enables junior and senior undergraduate students to pursue a track of excellence of their choice required for graduation. These tracks include, but are not limited to:
- Working with a PhD faculty member in a business department of choice. The business faculty member will serve as an advisor to assist with research design and implementation that is showcased at the Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (URECA) Campus wide poster symposium.
- Partnering with a corporate sponsor to design an experiential program for your senior year that promotes the synergies of learning for the organization as well as the student body at the COB. This Honors Capstone requires a well thought out project/plan with a reflection piece that is shared with the employer and the COB.
- Designing and producing a program/project that incorporates research and analysis in a specialization of your choice, working with a PhD faculty mentor who serves as a mentor pursuing research in a particular specialization with a predetermined learning outcome.
- Completing a business plan as your Honors thesis, working with a faculty member in innovation or entrepreneurship.
- Pursuing social entrepreneurship/community impact by taking on a project grounding in creating innovative solutions to society’s social problems. This Honors Capstone will require a written implementation proposal incorporating research, analysis, possible a corporate sponsor and an implementation plan.
- Creating a project that entails leadership on the Stony brook University Campus and the use of planning, organizing and orchestrating an idea from conception to a measurable end result. This Honors Capstone will require a written implementation proposal incorporating research, analysis and an implementation plan.
- Past Sponsors Include: Boys and Girls Club of the Bellport Area, Brookhaven National Laboratory Department of Energy, Girls Inc., Make-A-Wish Foundation, Patient Airlift Services, Spark Ideas Digital Marketing and Strategy, Suffolk Long Island Mentor and Mentee, The Long Island Coalition Against Bullying, and more.
Acceptance to the Business Honors Program
- Applicants must complete the BHP application which includes a 250-500 word essay. The deadline is March 15 for the Fall 2020 start date, however applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so you are encouraged to apply at any time prior to March 15.
Access the application here.