Graduate Business Programs: Admissions
Spring 2020 Application Deadlines:
|MBA Programs||Domestic Applicants||December 1|
|MBA Programs||International Applicants||October 15|
|MS Accounting||Domestic Applicants||December 1|
|MS Accounting||International Applicants||October 15|
|MBA Fast Track||All Applicants||November 15|
The Stony Brook College of Business Graduate Programs looks for students with the talent and desire to become business leaders. New students can begin the Stony Brook MBA and MS in Accounting in the Fall or Spring semester. The MS in Finance program can be started in the Fall semester only.
The following are required for consideration of admission into the COB Graduate programs, for both full and part-time applicants:
4 Page online application through Apply Yourself: app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs. You will need to create an account in order to apply.
Please upload your personal statement and resume to the application
$100 Application Fee (non-refundable), payable online by credit card
General Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores
- Visit www.mba.com for more information on how to take the test. Official scores are required in order to completely process your application. Your GMAT score is one part of your completed application and the admissions committee reviews the score in combination with your other materials. The admission committee looks for a minimum score of 550. However, applications will still be reviewed if your scores are below this point. You can submit your application and we will hold it until we receive your official scores. Note: Your application will not receive final processing until we receive an official copy of your GMAT score. Please use the following codes when sending your scores:
- MBA: K6R-3Z-78
- MS Accounting: K6R-3Z-68
- MS Finance: K6R-3Z-10
GMAT/GRE Waiver Request:
- Applicants can apply for a GMAT waiver if they believe they qualify for an exemption. Multiple factors are considered in the review of a waiver request for our graduate programs, including undergraduate and graduate coursework in quantitative subjects, grades, the rigor of the college or university, previous work experience, current job responsibilities, and professional certifications. All GMAT/GRE waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis, and an approved waiver request does not guarantee admission to the program. The admissions committee reserves the right to request a standardized test score (GMAT or GRE) from any applicant.
- To be considered for a GMAT/GRE waiver, applicants must email CoBadmissions@stonybrook.edu the following documents:
- Copy of all academic transcripts for work completed at colleges or universities demonstrating a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 (we can review unofficial transcripts, but if admitted you will be required to submit official copies with proof of degree conferral)
- Current Resume (we recommend highlighting job responsibilities that demonstrate your quantitative abilities)
- A brief written request outlining your qualifications for a GMAT waiver (experience in quantitative courses, work experience, critical thinking skills, writing skills, etc)
You are expected to have a GPA of 3.0 in prior academic work.
- In exceptional cases, a GPA below 3.0 will be considered for "conditional admission" to the College of Business. If admitted "conditionally," you must achieve a 3.0 GPA in the first semester to continue in your College of Business graduate program.
Official transcripts (one copy) from all schools from which you have earned a degree
- We strongly encourage foreign transcripts to be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), another NACES member association, or AACRAO. These must be course by course evaluations. You can find more information about WES at www.wes.org and NACES members at: http://www.naces.org/members.htm. If your transcripts are not in English, you must provide us with official copies of your transcripts and proof of degree conferral in both English and your native language. These documents must be issued directly by your University.
Transcripts should be sent to:
College of Business
Stony Brook University
109 Harriman Hall, Stony Brook NY
11794-3775. Phone: 631-632-7171
- Official electronic copies can be sent directly from your University to COBadmissions@stonybrook.edu.
3 Letters of Recommendation
- Letters of recommendation should be from current or former employers or professors. These should be submitted electronically through Apply Yourself.
Proof of satisfactory completion (grade of "C" or better) of a three-credit hour calculus course
- A request for a waiver from the calculus course requirement will be considered based on the student's undergraduate major, business experience, and career aspirations.
Applicants whose undergraduate education was conducted in a language other than English must also submit one of the following:
- A TOEFL internet-based score of 80 or above
- An IELTS test with an overall score of 6.5 or above, with no sub-scores below 6.0
- Please instruct ETS to send the official score reports electronically to the State University of New York at Stony Brook, code 2548. www.ets.org/toefl
- Official scores are required in order to have an application reviewed for possible admission.
If you are an international applicant and are accepted into the program, you will need to submit documentation to receive an F-1 visa. You will submit your information electronically through SOLAR after you have accepted our offer of admission.
In addition to the criteria stated above, the MBA in Accounting and MS in Accounting programs have further requirements. Applicants to these programs must have completed 21 credits of accounting prerequisites and one 3 credit law course. In addition, applicants to the MS in Accounting program must have completed 30 credits in general business (non-accounting) coursework. Please refer to the program website for detailed prerequisite information.
- Application deadline for MBA Programs for the Spring semester is December 1st; International Applicants should apply by October 15th.
- Application deadline for MS in Accounting Programs for the Spring semester is December 1st; International Applicants should apply by October 15th.
- Application deadline for MBA Programs for the Fall semester is June 15th; International Applicants should apply by March 15th.
- Application deadline for MS in Accounting Programs for the Fall semester is June 15th; International Applicants should apply by March 15th.
- Application deadline for MS in Finance Programs for the Fall semester is May 15th; International Applicants should apply by March 15th.
- Domestic applicants may also apply to start MBA programs or the MS in Accounting in Summer Session 1. The deadline is March 15.
Applications will be considered after these dates, as long as space is available.
Ready to begin the application process? Click here for the online application: app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs
Admission is open to all, regardless of undergraduate major. In making admissions decisions, the College of Business Admissions Committee applies a partially compensatory decision process. Under this process, exceptional strength in terms of GMAT scores, GPA, or work experience can offset minor deficiencies in another area. However, no exceptions are made to the TOEFL minimum score requirements for whom TOEFL scores are required.
Admitted students are expected to have access to a PC running Windows and Microsoft Office, and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Have more questions?
Please visit our COB Graduate Program frequently asked questions page or contact our Office of Student Services (OSS), where you can receive academic guidance and assistance with the application process. You can also make an appointment with Joyce Gibson, MBA, MS Admissions Recruitment Advisor (COBadmissions@stonybrook.edu) during the following times:
YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.