Ilana Shanks Memorial Scholarship 2022/23
Scholarship Amount: $1,000
This Scholarship honors Professor Ilana Shanks, who provided a model for intellectual excellence, unflagging positive energy, and diversity and inclusion in her classes, the University, and the field of marketing. After receiving her B.S. in Finance from St. John’s University in 2007 and spending a decade in the financial services industry, Lana received an MA in Psychology at New York University and a Ph.D. in Marketing from Florida State in 2019. She joined the Stony Brook College of Business in 2019, and her students and colleagues alike were deeply impressed by the excitement and enthusiasm she brought to all aspects of her professional life--whether through her trailblazing research on consumer responses to advanced technology in the marketplace, her outstanding teaching and mentorship activities, or her infectious smile. She tragically passed away in the Spring of 2021, and this Scholarship celebrates her legacy.
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in the College of Business.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement (GPA of 3.0 or higher).
- Preference given to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services. For graduate students who receive other donor-funded scholarships or other institutional support (such as tuition waivers), the Ilana Shanks Memorial Scholarship may be used to support non-tuition expenses as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services, so long as it does not exceed the recipient(s) total cost of attendance. Undergraduate students participating in the New York State's Excelsior Scholarship are not eligible for tuition support. For students participating in New York State's Excelsior Scholarship, the Ilana Shanks Memorial Scholarship is solely and exclusively for non-tuition expenses as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services. Non-tuition expenses typically include room and board, insurance, student fees, travel, books and supplies, personal expenses, or other common non-tuition expenses.
- Additional preference given to students who have taken coursework or have declared a specialization in marketing within the College of Business.
- Special consideration will be given to students who demonstrate an interest in equality, diversity or social justice by participating in community activities, social groups, student clubs or organizations that support this focus as self-reported in their scholarship application.
Interested candidates should use the link below to apply. You will need to answer the following questions:
- Please list any marketing coursework you have taken through the College of Business at Stony Brook. (Short answer, approximately 250 words)
- Please describe any community activities, social groups, student clubs or organizations you participate in that demonstrate your commitment to equality, diversity and/or social justice. Examples may include: research, internships, volunteering, professional development, study groups, student organizations, etc. (Short answer, approximately 250 words)
- Please share any additional thoughts you have for the scholarship committee as to why you are the best applicant for this scholarship. (Short answer, approximately 250 words).
- You will also need to upload a PDF of your resume.
Application Deadline is October 7, 2022.