New Student Road Map
Welcome to the School of Professional Development at Stony Brook University! We have provided this road map to assist you as you prepare to embark on your academic journey.
Application Status and Confirming Your Acceptance
- For all questions regarding your application status, and/or offer of admission, please log into your online ApplyYourself application, or contact your Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Contact information for your Graduate Program Director or Coordinator can be found on your program's website.
- Non-matriculated applicants should contact the School of Professional Development.
- Be sure to submit your electronic reply to an offer of admission on your ApplyYourself application.
- Matriculated Applicants : Be sure to submit your electronic reply to an offer of admission on your ApplyYourself application by the deadline date stated in your offer email. Allow up to four weeks from the time you receive the email offering admission to receive an email notification that your application has been fully processed by SPD and that you are eligible to enroll.
- Non-Matriculated Applicants : Allow approximately 3-5 business days from the time you receive the email offering admission to receive an email notification that your application has been fully processed by SPD and that you are eligible to enroll.
- For more information on your application status, refer to the SPD Admissions Processing Timeline.
Your SBU ID Number, SOLAR login, and Net ID
- Log-in to SOLAR using your SBU ID# and password as you were instructed in your offer of admission email
- Review any holds, messages, or To-Do items posted on your account by clicking on “Details” & submit the requested documents/information
- Information regarding your NetID and NetID password is obtained by logging into SOLAR and clicking the NetID Maintenance This is where you find out what your NetID is, how you set your security question, establish and change your NetID password, and test your NetID password to make sure it is working properly. You can learn more about the NetID by viewing this short video.
- For more information on accessing SOLAR, please contact the Division of Information Technology’s SOLAR help page.
Immunization and Meningitis Information Requirments
- In accordance with New York State Public Health Law, Stony Brook University requires that all students born on or after January 1, 1957 provide proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. The state also requires that all students receive information about meningococcal disease.
- Students who are enrolled in an SPD program that is fully online do not have to submit the immunization and meningitis form.
- For more information, please contact Student Health Services at 631-632-6740.
Familiarize Yourself with the Graduate Bulletin
New Graduate Student Orientation
- All new incoming students are required to visit the School of Professional Development's Student Orientation page to register for and/or view the online New Student Orientation webinars for their program.
Select Your Class
Register for Classes
Stony Brook Email Account
- Please note that any correspondence or information relating to your Stony Brook student record will only be sent to your Stony Brook University email address. If you would like, you can set up that stonybrook.edu email address to forward all messages to another address.
- Instructions for accessing and setting up this email account can be found on Stony Brook's IT website.
Parking and Transportation on Campus
- Students wishing to park on University campuses or use our transportation services, should visit the Transportation and Parking Services website for information on how to obtain a parking permit, parking maps and other important information.
Get Your ID Card
Establish New York Residency-For Domestic Students Only
- Students who are currently charged at the non-resident rate, and wish to be considered for resident tuition should review the eligibility requirements, and complete a residency application if they feel they are eligible. The application form and instructions are available here: Applying for New York State Residency for Tuition Billing Purposes