Skip Navigation

Non-Matriculated Graduate Student Status

If you have a bachelor's degree and are interested in taking undergraduate or graduate courses at Stony Brook, without working toward a degree or certificate, you may apply for admission as a Non-matriculated Graduate (GSP) Student. The School of Professional Development admits all GSP students to the University's West Campus, which does not include the Health Sciences Schools  ( Dentistry, Medicine, Social Welfare, Nursing, Public Health or Health Technology and Management). If you wish to take courses from any of the above schools, you should visit their respective websites to find out about non-matriculated study.



General Non-Matriculated Student Guidelines

Course Selection
  • As a non-matriculated graduate student (GSP), you may register for any graduate or undergraduate course available to you, provided that prerequisites, if any, are met.  (If you anticipate being accepted into a graduate program at Stony Brook, check in advance with the respective academic department to ensure the courses are applicable to the graduate degree or certificate you seek.)
  • Please note that not all departments will accept non-matriculated students; departmental permission for graduate non-SPD courses may be required prior to registration. SPD has compiled a catalog of enrollment guidelines for GSP students  that have been approved by academic departments, but it isn't necessarily a comprehensive list. Refer to the appropriate department before submitting your application as the application fee is non-refundable. If you would like to take a course from a department that is not listed in this document, you should contact that department directly to confirm eligibility to enroll.
  • GSP students are eligible to register during Graduate Open Enrollment (and after matriculated students). For best course selection, students are advised to register as soon as Graduate Open Enrollment begins for each term. Complete course offerings (and descriptions) may be found on Stony Brook's Class Find website.
Moving Toward Matriculation
  • Enrollment in a department's graduate courses does not entitle a GSP student to candidacy for a department's degree. You must formally apply and be admitted to a degree and/or certificate program.
  • The maximum number of graduate credits that one may earn as a Non-matriculated Graduate Student (GSP) that may later be considered for any Stony Brook graduate degree, including those degree and certificate programs offered through the School of Professional Development is  12 credits; for certificate programs, the maximum is 6 credits.
  • SPD students who are matriculated (eligible to enroll) with graduate non-matriculated program status, but who exceed the maximum number of allotted credits to be transferred into a master’s program (12 credits) or a certificate program (6 credits), must petition through SPD for approval. Petitions must include a rationale for why students didn't matriculate prior to the petition. Approval of credits beyond the minimum is not guaranteed. If approved, a re-matriculation fee of $50.00 will be charged and must be paid before your petition is processed.
Academic Standing
  • The cumulative grade point average (GPA) of GSP students will be based on all courses taken at Stony Brook, whether undergraduate or graduate. Should the student subsequently matriculate in a master's degree or advanced graduate certificate program, from the term of matriculation, the student's GPA is reset to include only graduate grades in the calculation of the cumulative GPA (all undergraduate work is excluded).
  • After three non-enrolled terms (fall and spring semesters only), students will be discontinued from the University. Students must reapply to return to the University for a degree program or as a non-matriculated student.
  • After earning six credits, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for students to continue enrollment. If students do not meet this requirement, they will be discontinued from the University.
  • Students are advised to keep all Stony Brook records, including departmental correspondence, payment and registration receipts, etc., for reference and verification.
Funding, Housing and Visa Status
  • GSP students are usually not eligible for financial aid or University housing. (For information concerning Financial Aid, please call 631.632.6840.)
  • International student applicants requesting F1 or J1 visas are normally required to be matriculated in a degree or advanced graduate certificate program. Non-matriculating graduate student (GSP) status does not fulfill this requirement.


How To Apply

All applicants, whether they are planning to take graduate or undergraduate courses, must upload a copy of the transcript reflecting conferral of a bachelor's degree, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.  

Note: Applicants applying as a part of the EdD articulation agreement must upload a copy of their transcript reflecting conferral of a master's degree.

Applications, the copy of your transcript, and a nonrefundable $25 application fee are submitted online through  Apply Yourself.   In addition, students who take any courses on campus will be required to send Student Health Service a completed immunization/meningitis response form, which must be received before the first day of their first on-campus term. Visit the Student Health Services Website for more information.

Applicants for graduate non-matriculated status are accepted on a rolling basis and are usually processed within 3-5 business days.  Applications submitted by the deadline date will be granted priority review. Completed application packages received after this date will be accommodated as space permits. Applicants received two weeks prior to the start of the upcoming term are not guaranteed to be processed in time for the upcoming term, nor to be processed in time for students to catch up with missed course work or meet registration deadlines according to the Registrar's Graduate Academic Calendar. Late fees and other liabilities may be incurred. Refer to the Academic Calendar  for specific dates and deadlines.

To ensure that your application is processed in time for the upcoming term, submit your complete application by the deadline dates stated below:

Fall: August 15
Winter: December 15
Spring: January 15
Summer: May15


Teacher Center Cohort Students Only:

Fall: August 15
Spring I: December 15
Spring II: March 1
Summer: May 15


Apply now

How To Enroll

After your application is processed, you will receive an email containing admission confirmation (including your Stony Brook ID number) and registration instructions.

Once you have your Stony Brook ID number, you will be able to enroll in courses via the SOLAR System.


Tuition and Fees

Tuition rates for non-matriculated graduate students (GSP) are based on the course level (i.e., undergraduate or graduate). The Bursar's website has detailed information on tuition and fees.

Contact Information

School of Professional Development
Attention: GSP Admissions
2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794 - 4434
Telephone: 631-632-7050
Fax: 631-982-7311
If you have elected to have your transcript sent electronically directly from the issuing institution, please have the transcript sent to the followingaddress:

Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. Stony Brook University is  100 percent tobacco-free.