Stony Brook's Non-matriculated Students
(Most Will Fit This Description)
Apply for non-matriculated (GSP) status if you:
- have earned at least a bachelor's degree
- want to take Stony Brook University courses without applying to a degree or certificate
- are NOT affiliated with one of SPD's off-campus partners
The Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions admits non-matriculated students
for the University.
Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions
(631) 444 - 2111
Details & Link
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and
employer. Stony Brook University is 100 percent tobacco-free
SPD's Non-matriculated Cohort Students
(Mostly for Teachers)
Apply through SPD if you plan to take individual courses through one of the School's
off-campus cohorts (does not include degree or certificate programs).
Cohort courses may include:
- Courses that meet at a Teachers Center but do not lead to a graduate certificate
- Graduate Continuing Education Courses offered through CTLC
- Courses that are offered as part of an articulation agreement with another University
Cohort courses do not include Foreign Language K-6 Certification Extension courses that are offered in an off-campus
site. Those students should apply through the Office of Graduate and Health Sciences Admissions.
To apply as a non-matriculated cohort student through SPD, applicants will need to
upload a copy of the transcript reflecting conferral of a the appropriate-level degree:
- Applicants to the CTLC Continuing Education Graduate courses and those applying as
a part of the EdD articulation agreement must upload a copy of their transcript reflecting
conferral of a master's degree with a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicants to SPD's cohort microcredential, coaching, and ESOL course sequence programs
shoud submit a transcript showing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of
There is a nonrefundable $25 application fee.
Deadlines for SPD's Non-matriculated Cohort Students
- Fall: August 15
- Spring: January 1
- Summer: May 15
Apply to the SPD Cohort