Transportation Service Update
In an effort to ensure social distancing measures to reduce the risk of COVID19 transmission,
the difficult decision has been made to reduce SBU Transit Shuttle service to the
Monday through Friday:
Between the hours of 7 am and 10 pm:
Hospital/Chapin - 1 bus w/30 minute frequency
Outer Loop - 1 bus w/30 minute frequency
R & D and ADA service - as needed by appointment - call dispatch @ 631-632-6418
Normal Saturday Service Level C
Modified Sunday Service Level C with last run departing at 9:30 PM
This schedule will remain in effect until further notice.
Welcome to the Office of Transportation and Parking Operations website. We are proud to serve the diverse and vibrant Stony Brook community. The Office of Transportation and Parking Operations provides essential transportation and parking solutions for Stony Brook University on the following campuses: Main Campus (East, West, and South), Stony Brook Southampton, and the Research and Development Park.
The mission of the Office of Transportation and Parking Operations is to:
- Provide a safe, efficient and reliable transportation system for the Stony Brook University community.
- Provide a safe and well maintained parking areas, while meeting the needs of the Stony Brook University community.
- Procure and maintain the Stony Brook University vehicle fleet.
- Provide support, vision and direction for operating the University transportation fleet using environmentally sound practices.
SBU Transit TrACKING system
We have completed an upgrade of the SBU Transit Tracking System and it is now available for you to use . We have included student and user feedback to customize this improved and more consistent information application. SBU has partnered with DoubleMap to provide a new tracking system that offers an easy and convenient way to view real-time information on SBU Transit vehicle locations from your smartphone, tablet, or web capable device.
The Office of Transportation and Parking Operations offers the following services to the Stony Brook University community:
Automotive Repair Services
- Vehicle Procurement: Research and procurement of environmentally friendly transportation solutions, as required by Stony Brook Administration, Federal and State mandates.
- Fleet Maintenance and Repair: Ensure the operation of over 450 Stony Brook University vehicles and grounds equipment (including those on East, West, South, Southampton, and Research and Development Park campuses.)
- SBU Transit Maintenance and Repair: Ensure the operation and proper maintenance of over 30 SBU Transit vehicles.
Services and destinations include:
- Over 15 destinations on Stony Brook University Main Campus, as well as to a variety of Sunday Shopping Route destinations.
- Stony Brook University Main Campus to/from Stony Brook Southampton.
University Parking Areas
University Parking Garages, which total over 5,050 parking spaces, including the operation, maintenance and access control equipment for the following areas:
- Administration Parking Garage (includes visitor parking)
- Hospital Parking Garage (includes visitor parking)
- HSC Parking Garage (includes Community Physicians Parking Lot and Level 2 Open Lot)
Surface Parking Lots, which total over 7,300 surface parking spaces on East and West Campuses, including:
- Visitor Parking (metered, light blue on map)
- Faculty/Staff Permitted Parking (red on map)
- Commuter Permitted Parking (green on map)
- Premium Permitted Parking (brown on map)
- Special Service Permitted Parking (orange on map)
About the Department of Transportation and Parking Operations
The Department of Transportation and Parking Operations provides essential transportation and parking solutions for Stony Brook University on the following campuses: Main Campus (East, West and South), Stony Brook Southampton, and the Research & Development Park.
Stony Brook University has launched SBU Smart Transit, a global positioning system that tracks real-time SBU Transit bus and shuttle locations and passenger occupancy.