New Student Housing Applications 2020-2021
This page will provide useful information for you to successfully apply for on campus housing for the 2020-2021 Academic Year.
Please review the information that follows carefully before completing the application process.
May 1 | First Year Student Deposit deadline
May 15 | New Graduate Student Deposit Deadline
May 25 | New Student Application goes live in the housing portal
June 19 | Priority deadline to complete the application.
July 3 | Final deadline to complete the application.
July 6 - July 16 | New Graduate Student Room Selection
Mid July to Early August | New First Years notified of assignments and New Transfers notified of assignment or that they will not have on campus housing.
August 1 to August 23 | New Graduate Student Arrival Date Options
August 20 | Last day for New First Year and Transfer move In (Arrival Schedule to be determined. Students will be assigned an arrival date and time sometime during the week of August 16)
Is there a housing deposit?
There is a $200 housing deposit. May 1 is the First year admit priority deposit deadline for on campus housing. May 15 is the New graduate admit priority deposit deadline for on campus housing. New Transfers will only be assigned if space permits. First years and graduates students can still deposit after the deadline, but will only receive an assignment if space permits. If space does not permit, the $200 will be refunded in full. If you cancel by August 15, we will credit your $200 deposit back to your student account. If you want to cancel your housing, please email email@example.com from your Stony Brook Email account or your active email address on file and include your Stony Brook ID Number in your cancellation request.
What will the application consist of?
- Agreeing to the 2020-2021 Terms of Occupancy
- Meal Plan Information and Meal Plan Selection
- Questionnaire to help facilitate roommate matching
Can I select my room?
- New First Years are placed into Undergraduate Colleges that will determine which Quad they will live in. They will be able to preference a roommate and answer a profile questionnaire to help facilitate roommate matching. In Mid-July or early August, students will be notified of their placement and roommate information.
- New Transfers will answer a profile questionnaire in the application process, and if space is available on campus, this will be used to facilitate roommate matching and placement. Transfers are not guaranteed housing or a specific location within housing.
- New graduate students will select their arrival date and space as part of their application. Selecting of the room space will require new graduate students to go back into this application July 6-July 16 to make the selection. Those who make their selection earlier in the timeline will have a greater selection of spaces to choose from. Failure to select may result in not receiving housing. New Graduate Students may select space in Chapin, Schomburg and West Apartments. There is limited availability for new Graduate Students in Chapin and Schomburg apartments.
Can I select a roommate?
- New First Years - You will be able to request a preferred roommate but roommates are not guaranteed due to space constraints. Requested roommates must be in the same Undergraduate College for placement to be considered.
- New Transfers - You will answer a profile questionnaire in the application process, and if space is available on campus, this will be used to facilitate roommate matching and placement. Transfers are not guaranteed housing or a specific location within housing.
- New Graduate Students - You can see profiles of roommates they are selecting into a space to live with.
When do I move into my space?
- New Undergraduate Students - Our arrival schedule is to be determined. August. Students will be assigned an arrival date and time sometime during the week of August 16. Your move-in will be no later than Thursday, August 20, 2020. Financial liability begins upon arrival.
- New Graduate students may move in any date on or after August 1, 2020. If you need to arrive prior to August 1, 2020, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Financial liability begins upon arrival.
Will new first year and transfers be placed into temporary triples?
For the 2020-2021 academic year we are NOT placing new students into temporary triples. Some rooms in corridor style are design three person rooms, but for this year we will only be using these as double occupancy spaces.
What is Gender Inclusive Housing?
- Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) is a housing option in which two or more students share a bedroom, suite and/or apartment regardless of the students' sex, gender identity or gender.expression. In other words, this option allows for students of any gender identity to live together regardless of sex assigned at birth.
- Choosing to live in Gender Inclusive Housing means that residents will have roommates and/or suitemates of any gender identities.
- Residents of Gender Inclusive Housing are committed to creating and affirming a bias free environment for everyone living in this community.
- If you have an interest in Gender Inclusive Housing, you can sign up for this between May 25-June 19. You will see a tab along the top of your housing portal labeled GIH.
- Once that process is live, please review all information prior to submitting. Once submitted you have signed up to live in this community for the academic year. You will not be able to room change or room swap into gender based male or female housing
For questions about your application and the room selection process, please email email@example.com