Residential Safety Program
The Residential Safety Program (RSP), a program under Residential Safety & Support Services, was founded in 1975. It is a student based organization which consists of a staff of over 120 students. RSP patrols the residential buildings and grounds to help ensure a safe community. RSP also offers a walk/escort service to any points on campus from 12:00PM - 3:00AM.
Simply call 631-632-WALK (9255) to arrange a walk.
How to Join RSP
RSP holds hiring events at the start of each Fall and Spring semesters. Interested candidates can also apply by the University’s Handshake system. If you are interested in joining the Residential Safety Program, please apply for a position via Handshake. RSP hires on a rolling basis as spots become available. Please do not send unsolicited resumes. RSP positions are:
- Field Workers patrol outside and inside residential buildings, identifying and reporting issues such as broken doors, propped doors, broken blue light phones, fire alarms, and potential threats on campus.
- Field workers also assist with emergency situations that arise on campus, working alongside UPD/Fire Marshal/SBVAC/other residential staff in order to resolve the emergency situation.
- Field Workers are dispatched to assist with any RSP walk requests that are called.
- Dispatch security officers from the hours of 4AM - 8AM and assist with any on campus emergencies that arise.
- Point of contact for residents during early morning hours, resolving the caller’s problem.
- From the hours of 8 - 12AM, early workers patrol the inside and outside of residential buildings ensuring campus safety, serving the same role as Field workers but at earlier hours of the day.
- Responsible for reporting propped doors, broken blue light phones, broken doors, fire alarms and potential threats.
- Work alongside emergency personnel (Fire Marshal, SB VAC, UPD) amidst emergencies.
- Early workers help staff special events such as move-in, midnight breakfast, graduation and other campus events where crowd control assistance is needed.