Logo for Stony Brook University


Issued by:
Office of Administration
October, 2016


The University policy on use of facilities is provided below:

  • Internal Use: Campus facilities (space) may be reserved by official University units, faculty and staff for University business, and by recognized student organizations for use that is consistent with the University mission and goals in education, research, cultural or community service and patient care. HSC facilities may be authorized for use and reserved only by designated sponsors. Eligible sponsors of events in the HSC include the Campus President, Vice Presidents, Deans of HSC Schools, Executive Directors of University Hospital and the Long Island State Veterans Home.
  • External Use: Use of campus facilities (space) by University sponsored outside groups requires a Facilities Use Permit for both long- and short-term arrangements. All permits are coordinated through the Office of Administration. The application for use of facilities must include the written endorsement by a University sponsoring department or recognized campus organization. Sponsorship requires that the sponsoring unit is familiar with the applicant, believes that the proposed activity is consistent with the University mission and goals in education, research, cultural or community service and patient care, and stands ready to indemnify the University for all outstanding obligations the applicant may have to the University. Having a sponsor does not guarantee that space can be made available or that University approval will be given for the event. The sponsor will be held responsible for securing any outstanding charges incurred by the individual or group requesting space.
  • Should the University determine that additional custodial, parking, security, electrical, site manager or other services are required, these charges will be added to the basic fee. The schedule of fees for facilities use and/or Office of Administration support is maintained by the Office of Administration.
  • All fundraising activities, except student fund raising events, must be coordinated and approved through the Office of the Senior Vice President for Advancement. All fundraising events to support student activities and projects must be approved by written authorization from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Approved private social gatherings hosted by individuals or organizations affiliated with the University may be held in certain campus facilities if no academic use is contemplated for the facility at the time the event is scheduled, and only if the event will pose no conflict with University activities. Such events may be scheduled no earlier than two months in advance.
  • The Office of Conferences and Special Events must be contacted for reservations, calendaring, and other event related needs (i.e.: notifying University Police Department, Transportation and Parking Services, etc.) when a proposed event will include any of the following: politically affiliated organizations; Presidential, Congressional, gubernatorial or selective legislative office; Secret Service coverage; extensive use of campus services; large public media involvement; if the University will be the sponsor (either financially or publicly); and events expecting greater than 100 people.
  • Availability of accommodations for persons with disabilities must be clearly stated on all brochures, notices, bulletins, advertisements and invitations for seminars and other activities. The notice must include a statement of offer (i.e.: 'Please notify this office of any request for disability-related accommodations'). The organization or individual hosting the activity is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations for attendees with disabilities. The ADA Coordinator is available for consultation.
Revocable permit applicants must secure appropriate liability insurance naming the State of New York, the State University of New York and the State University of New York at Stony Brook as additional insureds for the dates of the events in the amount specified by the Office of Administration. A Certificate of Insurance must be presented to that office at least 5 business days prior to the event.
A non-University organization using campus facilities may not use the University's name, logo, trademarks or service marks, or any derivation thereof, as a part of its name or address without advance written authorization by the Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing/Chief Communications Officer. When advertising the location of the event, the organization must use only the following title to identify the University: Stony Brook University
All advertising must be approved in advance by the Office of the Vice President for Communications and Marketing/Chief Communications Officer to ensure that the University is appropriately depicted to the general public seeing or listening to the proposed representation.

Related Policies

Related Forms

Related Links


For information related to this policy, please contact:

Office of Administration
221 Administration Building
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1002
Phone: (631) 632-6100

Conferences & Special Events
Charles B. Wang Center, Suite 302
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4044
Phone: (631) 632-6320

Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity (OIDE)
201 Administration Building
Stony Brook, NY 11794-0251
Phone: (631) 632-6280

Created by Application Support for Administration
University Policy Manual @ Stony Brook University