Skip Navigation

Traveling Outside of the United States

  • Overview


    When reentering the U.S. after traveling outside of the country, you must be prepared to show the Border Patrol the following documents:

      • Original DS-2019 signed for travel within the last 12 months
      • Passport (Valid 6-month into the future)
      • Valid J-1 Visa
    • Proof of Enrollment

    Undergrads: Enrollment Verification from the Registrar

    Graduates: Good Standing Letter from your department

    In order to reenter the US after traveling outside of the country you must have a travel signature on your DS-2019. This signature confirms that you are a full-time student maintaining lawful status. To obtain a travel signature please submit the Travel Signature Request form in accessVIS.

  • Traveling within the U.S.

    Traveling Within the U.S.

    If you are planning a trip within the United States it is important that you have your DS-2019, passport, visa and Stony Brook ID card with you for ALL distance travel, even travel within New York State.

  • Important Reminders
    • Important Reminders for J-1 Travelers

      • J-1 students with expired U.S. visas who are traveling to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands for up to 30 days, who will not be applying for a new U.S. visa while there, AND who will be resuming their studies upon their return should discuss their eligiblity for Automatic Revalidation with an International Student Advisor before traveling.
      • Canadian nationals should be sure to carry with them their financial documentation that verifies the information on their SEVIS Form DS-2019 when returning to the United States
      • If you are applying for a change of non-immigrant status, or have an immigration petition or EAD card application pending, be sure to carry your U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) receipt notice (Form I-797). This notice proves that you have an application pending with USCIS.
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Frequently Asked Questions

    May I travel to Canada?
    I would like to take a cruise - are there any documents I should prepare before I travel?