Estimated Expenses for F-1 & J-1 Students
Below is a brief overview of Stony Brook University’s tuition, fees and housing charges for Undergraduate and Graduate students studying in both F-1 and J-1 status. In order to obtain a Form I-20 or DS-2019 applicants must provide sufficient proof of liquid funds which meet or exceed the first year's estimated educational and living expenses. Please be advised that these charges are subject to change, and funding amounts considered sufficient may vary from year to year. Some programs have special tuition and fees (MBA, DPT, PA, DDS, MD) which are not listed below.
For information on scholarship opportunities and private education loan lending institutions,
visit SBU's Financial Aid website.
F-1 Undergraduate: Full-time, Tuition & Fees
|Expenses||Spring 2023-Fall 2023
|Tuition & Fees||$28,783|
F-1 Graduate: Full-time, Tuition & Fees
|Expenses||Stipended: 9 Credits
Spring 2023-Fall 2022
|Unstipended: 9 Credits
Spring 2023-Fall 2023
|Tuition & Fees||$19,949||$19,949|
J-1 Exchange: Full-Time Tuition & Fees
Spring 2023 - Fall 2023
|Tuition & Fees||$14,340||$28,783|
Acceptable Sources of Funding
Documentation of funding must be provided on official letterhead (with a translation in English if applicable), include the amount of funding available in U.S. dollars, and must be issued no more than six months prior to your program state date.
Prospective students must produce one or more of the following as proof of sufficient funds:
- Personal funds: A bank statement in the prospective student's own name documenting current balance ($USD); alternatively, a letter from the bank manager indicating current account balance ($USD).
- Support from family / other private individuals: A bank statement no more than 6-months old for each source of liquid funds, printed on letterhead in English.
- Stony Brook University funding: Offer letter detailing the terms of sponsorship, including amount of support, duration, and type (example: Tuition Scholarship, Athletic Scholarship (Grant-in-Aid), Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship, Fellowship, etc.) is required.
- (U.S. or foreign) government support: Evidence of support should be presented in English on official letterhead, and detail the purpose of the support, amount of support ($USD), and specify the period during which the support will be available. This must be signed by an appropriate government officer.
- Agency or business support: Evidence of support should be presented in English on agency letterhead, and detail the purpose of the support, amount of support ($USD), and specify the period during which the support will be available. It should include an original signature from an appropriate officer.
- Tuition & fees subject to change without notice -