Skip Navigation

Transferring to SBU

International students who are admitted to Stony Brook University from another U.S. college, university, high school or language program in F-1 status are considered “SEVIS Transfers." This refers to the transfer of the student’s SEVIS record from one institution to another.

You are also considered a SEVIS Transfer if you have completed a program or period of Post-Completion OPT at one school and then begin a new program at Stony Brook within 5 months.

Students in J-1 status can only transfer to Stony Brook if they will continue to pursue the same program objective.


Transfer-In Process

Step 1: Speak to your current school
Step 2: Request your new I-20/DS-2019
Step 3: Submit the International Student Transfer Report
Step 4: Receive your I-20/DS-2019 from Stony Brook
Step 5: Complete the Immigration Intake upon arrival to SBU

Important Note: Students who leave the United States between transfers must use Stony Brook University’s I-20 when arriving for inspection at the port-of-entry. Please keep all previous I-20s for Intake procedures.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I travel outside of the U.S. in between programs after my transfer-out date?
Do I need a new F-1 visa?
What should my transfer release date be?
Am I still eligible for OPT at my previous school after the transfer-out date?
How soon can I work on-campus at Stony Brook?
Does time at the transfer-out school count towards the one full academic year provision for employment and practical training?
When will I get my I-20 from Stony Brook?
Why does my I-20 say 'Transfer Pending'?