Skip Navigation

On Campus Employment

Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room or for any other benefit or compensation. J-1 students are required to have authorization from VIS for all types of employment. If employed without proper authorization, the student will have violated their J-1 status which may jeopardize their ability to remain in or reenter the U.S.

What is Considered On-Campus Employment?

Employment for SBU
Work on school premises, employed by commercial firms
Work done at off-campus locations, but treated as on-campus


How many hours a week can I work?