Skip Navigation

Leave of Absence

  • Requesting a Leave of Absence
    Requesting a Leave of Absence

    Any J-1 student discontinuing their education at Stony Brook to take a leave of absence (not enroll in classes for a semester or more) must first notify Visa and Immigration Services by logging in to accessVIS and completing the Ending My J-1 Status eform request.  

    Upon approval of your request, your J-1 SEVIS record will be terminated for “authorized early withdrawal” and you are allotted 15 days to depart the U.S.

  • Returning from a Leave of Absence
    Returning From a Leave of Absence

    Readmission applies to students who have taken a leave of absence from Stony Brook University due to medical leave, military duty, or other reasons.  

    Students should begin the process to request an DS-2019 for readmission at least three (3) months prior to the semester they wish to return.

    Step 1: Request a new DS-2019 from VIS
    Step 2: Pay the SEVIS Fee
    Step 3: Apply for a new J-1 visa