Skip Navigation

Academic Training for J-1 Students

  • Overview
    • Overview

      Academic training for J-1 students is work, training or experience related to your field of education, and may be used during your program (pre-completion) or after graduation (post-completion).  As with ALL employment, written authorization from a Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO)  is required.

      This training may include a number of paid and unpaid opportunities, and may even include simultaneous activities. 

      ALL academic training is counted as full-time, even if it is only one hour per day.

      Post-completion academic training must begin no later than 30 days following the completion of studies, which is defined as your “end of program." During the post-completion academic training period you will continue to be in the SEVIS system and responsible for maintaining all aspects of your J-1 status, including the insurance requirement, reporting changes of address, etc.

      Due to updated Department of State guidance, J-1 Students engaging in Academic Training may only work remotely/through telework up to one to two days per week. The remainder of the work week must be in person at their site of activity.

  • Duration of Academic Training
    • Duration of Academic Training (AT)

      J-1 students are granted up to 18 months of academic training to be used on a pre-completion and/or post-completion basis.

      Please note the following exceptions:

      • The length of your academic training may not exceed the length of your program's classroom time. For example, if your J-1 program is only 12 months, you cannot receive more than 12 months of Academic Training.
      • Students seeking or completing a Master’s degree are eligible for 18 months of AT.
      • Ph.D. students may be eligible for a second 18 months of academic training, for a total of 36 months. The second 18 months can only be applied toward post-completion Academic Training, i.e., for qualified positions following completion of all requirements for the degree.
      • There is no distinction between "part-time" or "full-time" academic training. Every month that you are authorized is deducted as a month used, regardless of whether or not the position is part-time or full-time.
  • Early Termination, Extensions, & Changing Employers
    • Early Termination, Extensions, & Changing Employers

      If you resign from your Academic Training or are terminated prior to the expiration of your authorized period, you must notify your International Student Advisor immediately.

      If you wish to extend your Academic Training, you must speak to an International Student Advisor prior to the expiration of your current authorized period.

      If you wish to change jobs during your Academic Training, you must submit a completely new Academic Training application in accessVIS.

  • How to Apply

    How to Apply

    Step 1: Obtain an offer letter from your employer
    Step 2: Ensure you have health insurance coverage
    Step 3: Submit the request in accessVIS
    Step 4: Collect your documents from VIS
    Step 5: Apply for a Social Security Number


  • Proof of Authorization
    • Proof of Authorization

      If your request is approved, you will receive a letter of authorization for the specific opportunity and a new DS-2019 reflecting any extension of status that may be required. Information regarding your activity, location, and the duration of your approved academic training will be entered into SEVIS, but may not appear on your updated DS-2019.