Resident Assistant Recruitment Information
Resident Assistants (RA) are important and valuable team members of the department of residential education within Campus Residences. Students who serve as an RA have the opportunity to develop leadership skills, communication skills, foster strong relationships with peers, residents, and their supervisor and promote diversity and inclusion in their area. In this position, students can grow exponentially in their personal and professional life. Both undergraduate and graduate students can be RAs in the residence halls and our apartment areas on campus.
How to Apply:
Resident Assistant Informational Sessions (Featuring the Career Center)
Below is a list of our Resident Assistant Application Informational Sessions. You must attend one (1) session in order to receive the application.
|Wednesday, October 11||12 PM||Al deVries|
|Monday, October 23||4 PM||Tabler 110(Black Box)|
|Wednesday, October 25||7 PM||West E Commons MPR|
|Thursday, November 2||1 PM||SAC Ballroom A|
|Friday, November 10||4 PM||Irving Lounge|
|Saturday, November 11||2 PM||Chapin Commons MPR|
|Sunday, November 12||12 PM||
|Tuesday, November 14||11 AM||Union Ballroom|
|Wednesday, November 15||11 AM||
|Friday, November 17||6:30 PM||Bauman Center|
After you attend one (1) informational session, you will receive the RA Application and directions via email within 24 - 48 hours of completion of an informational session.
You will have until Thursday, November 30th at 11:59pm to submit your full application. You will receive a confirmation once it is submitted. No extensions will be given.
Your reference will have until Monday, December 4th at 11:59pm to complete their reference form. However, you must include their information (name and correct email address) within your completed application and submit that information no later than Thursday, November 30th at 11:59pm. Failure to do so will result in your reference not receiving their reference form.
You will hear back in January in regards to your application status and if you have moved on to our interview process.
Questions? Contact CampResRASelection@stonybrook.edu
Resident Assistants are responsible for ensuring safe and welcoming conditions within the residence halls and apartments. RAs work to build inclusive communities in their assigned area through peer to peer interactions, programming, and bulletin boards. While the specific responsibilities of an RA will vary from area to area and building to building, some of the responsibilities include:
- Knowing the residents of your building/hall/area in an effort to be aware of their personal, social, and academic concerns.
- Referring concerns to your supervisor and other appropriate entities on campus if someone can benefit from professional attention.
- Being visible, available, and approachable by the residents of the area.
- Holding floor socials and meetings at intervals determined by your supervisor.
- Keeping the Residence Hall Director (RHD) in the loop about trends in your community.
- Being familiar with and able to communicate/uphold housing and university policies and procedures in a positive manner.
- Sitting duty for your building/area on a rotating basis. While on duty you serve as the point person for any issues that arise in your duty area after normal business hours.
- Assessing the needs of your residents on a continual basis. Initiating, planning and organizing programs of a social, educational, cultural and recreational nature.
- Encouraging students to take responsibility for their own actions by establishing behavioral standards that promote the concept of common courtesy and consideration for others.
- Role modeling appropriate behavior.
- Assessing building prior to and post occupancy to ensure damage is rectified each year.
- Conducting Health and Safety Inspections.
- Completing administrative tasks that are necessary for the smooth operation of the building.
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor, your area’s professional staff, or the department as a whole.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Resident Assistant Development and Recruitment Committee at CampresRASelection@stonybrook.edu. The email is monitored by committee members and you should expect a response within 2-3 business days.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the Resident Assistant Development and Recruitment (RADAR) Committee at CampresRASelection@stonybrook.edu. The email is monitored by committee members and you should expect a response within 2-3 business days.