Returning Student Room Selection 2020-2021 | Process Overview
Process Updates in Response to Campus Closure:
- Returning Students who lived on campus as of March 9 who have not paid a deposit do not have to pay a deposit.
- If you already paid your deposit, this will continue to be used as a pre-payment of your Fall 2020 housing bill. If you paid a deposit and cancel by August 15, you will receive your full $200 deposit back.
- The room you occupied as of March 9 is what building you will be eligible for on “Select Current Building as an Individual” and “Group Select a Building that a Group Member Currently Resides In”
- Everyone will have a NEW room selection start time as we are starting each Monday of Phase 2 at 2pm. This is to allow more time on Thursday’s for the people who have the last selection times to be able to take action.
- All room selection start times are based on Eastern Standard Time Zone / “New York Time.”
- Returning Student Application is only available 11am-11:59pm daily.
- You will be able to view all available spaces starting Friday, March 27 at 5pm.
Adjusted Room Selection Information Below:
Video Tutorials below show how to do the process - Any dates referenced need to be adjusted to the timeline on this website.
Click the buttons below to view each phase:
|Phase 1||Phase 2||Phase 3||Phase 4||Important Info||Graduate & Family Info|
Phase 1 - Deposit, Start Your Application, and if available, Return to Current Room
Monday, February 17 until Thursday, March 12
Phase 2 - Selecting a Room
Self-Select Current Building as an Individual: Monday, March 30 - Thursday, April 2
Group Select Any Building Group Members Reside In Currently: Monday, April 6 - Thursday, April 9
Select Any Available Space Alone Or Group: Monday, April 13 - Thursday, April 16
Students who do not complete room selection by 11:59pm on April 16 will not be guaranteed housing for the 2020-2021 Agreement Period.
Phase 3 - Room Swap and Change
Undergraduate Housing Agreements
- Room Swap: Monday, April 20 until Thursday, July 9
- Room Change to a vacant space Monday, April 20 until Thursday, April 23 & Monday, July 6 until Thursday, July 9
Graduate Housing Agreements
- Room Swap and Room Change: Monday, April 20 until Thursday, April 30
You can participate in these processes on the dates listed above between 9am-11:59pm in the housing portal.
Phase 4 - Waitlists
Available in the housing portal starting Monday, July 13 at 11am.
Deposit, Start Your Application, and if available, Return to Current Room
From February 17 to March 12
- Ensure your University account is in good financial standing with no financial blocks.
- If you did not start your application during phase 1, you are still able to start the process.
Selecting a Room
Each week you will have the same room selection start day and time.
Selections can be made Monday through Thursday 11:00 AM - 11:59 PM but no earlier than your designated room selection day and time.
Every Friday prior to the next phase of room selection week, our vacant space list is updated by 5:00 PM for the next phase of room selection. Space availability varies from week to week to maximize availability throughout all weeks of room selection.
- Self-Select Current Building as an Individual: Monday, March 30 - Thursday, April
- If you make a selection this week, you are done until Phase 3 and cannot add people to your room or suite during the next phase.
Group Select Any Building Group Members Reside In Currently: Monday, April 6 - Thursday,
- Groups must fill the remaining spaces of a suite or apartment in order to select.
- Selection must be done by the person who lives in the desired building.
- Select Any Available Space Alone Or Group: Monday, April 13 - Thursday, April 16
Once you have an assigned room your selection is final unless you participate in Phase 3 room swap or change.
Room Swap and Change
If you would like to do a one-to-one swap or choose a vacant space, please visit the Housing Portal during this time and nominate your current space and search for a new space.
Room Swap and Room Change are separate processes and can be accessed between 9am-11:59pm on the dates listed below. All swaps must be completed by the posted deadlines.
Undergraduate Housing Agreements
- Monday, April 20 until Thursday, July 9 - Room Swap with another individual
- Monday, April 20 until Thursday, April 23 & Monday, July 6 until Thursday, July 9 - Room Change to a vacant space
Graduate Housing Agreements
- Monday, April 20 until Thursday, April 30 - Room Swap with another individual and/or Room Change
High Demand Waitlists and our Commuter Waitlist will be available in the portal starting July 13 at 11am.
Starting September 15 and every month after, you will need to recertify your interest in remaining on a waitlist to maintain your spot.
You will only see waitlists that you are eligible for that type of housing.
High Demand Waitlists are only for students who have a reserved or in room booking for the academic year include the following communities:
Undergraduate Housing Agreements:
- Chávez and Tubman, West Apartments, Residence Hall Single
Graduate Housing Agreements:
- Chapin Double Room, Chapin Single Room, Schomburg Single
Commuter Student Waitlists:
- For students who did not finish room selection or currently live off campus and want to move on campus during the 2020-2021 housing agreement period.
- It does not guarantee an offer during the 2020-2021 housing agreement period or a specific location within housing.
Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) for 2020-2021
- Students must sign up yearly to be in Gender Inclusive Housing Communities.
- GIH Application will be available in the housing portal February 10 until March 12.
- In GIH, residents will have roommates and/or suitemates of any gender identities.
- If you apply and are approved, you will only see Gender Inclusive spaces as part of your 2020-2021 room selection. This may impact your ability to return to your same room or building.
Undergraduate West, Chávez, and Tubman Eligibility, at the time of selecting a space...
- Must have 57 or more credits (including current enrollment).
- Must have an SBU GPA of 2.75.
- Must be in good judicial standing with the University.
Undergraduate Resident becoming a New Graduate Student Summer or Fall 2020
- You will go through the new student room selection this summer.
- Pay a $200 deposit by May 15.
Important Agreement Information
- Undergraduate Housing Agreements: August 22, 2020 - May 19, 2021
- Graduate Housing Agreements: June 1, 2020 - June 1, 2021
- Once you check-in for an agreement period, you are financially liable for the whole agreement period. Release from agreements are made for individuals who graduate summer or fall terms, withdraw from the institution, or participate in an SBU approved external study for a semester.
- Undergraduate students who paid a housing deposit, canceling housing prior to August 15 receive $200 deposit refund.
- If you complete the Housing Selection Process and fail to cancel prior to check-in, you will be charged until the first Wednesday of the semester.
For those who moved out of Spring 2020 housing in response to the campus closure due to COVID-19 and renew:
- You will be able to select a new arrival date instead of June 1, 2020. Once the process ends on April 16, we will send communication and instructions for how to select your new arrival date. Arrival date options will depend on when campus operations return to normal with the last possible arrival date of August 23, 2020. Your billing will start for your 2020-2021 agreement based on the date selected.
For those that remained in housing and are Not Returning to Housing for 2020-2021 Agreement Period:
- If you do not renew housing, you will need to move out of your current assignment no later than May 31, 2020 at noon.
For those that remained in housing and renewed for the 2020-2021 Agreement Period:
Once room selection process ends on April 16, we will send communication and instructions for how to select a new arrival date with one of two options.
- If you fully remove all personal belongings from your room and surrender your room key by May 31 you can select a new arrival date. Arrival date options will depend on when campus operations return to normal with the last possible arrival date of August 23, 2020. Your billing will start for your 2020-2021 agreement based on the date selected.
- You will have the option to select June 1 as your arrival. If you select this option, please review the additional information below.
Selecting the Same Space for 2020-2021
- If you renew to the same assignment, your financial liability for the 2020-2021 agreement period begins if you are still occupying the space as of June 1, 2020.
Selecting a Different Space for 2020-2021
- If you renew housing to a different assignment between two agreement years, you will have a staggered move schedule. You need to be available during the last week of May through mid-June to complete the room change. Financial liability begins upon receiving the key to your new space.
Short Term Housing Agreements
- May request a “Short Term” Housing agreement (beginning June 1, 2020 and ending no later than July 15, 2020) may do so through the Room Selection process up until March 12 at 11:59 PM.
- “Short Term” Housing decisions are binding. Residents may choose to move out earlier than July 15, 2020 if they prefer but will not be permitted to extend beyond July 15, 2020.
- “Short Term” Housing residents may only select their current assignment during Room Selection. If the current space is not available during the summer, the option will be to move to a space in the West Apartments on May 31 until their “Short Term” agreement ends.
- Do not select “Short Term” if you need housing beyond July 15. If you are graduating in August, renew for the year and you will be approved to leave in the month you graduate.