Skip Navigation

Languages Other Than English

NYSED Content Area: A master’s degree in any language other than English (LOTE) will be considered sufficiently related to any other language certificate to qualify as a related Master's degree, Linguistics

Courses with departmental subject codes (e.g., FRN, GER, SPN) are valid for the content area for professionallicense provided they are not methods courses. In addition, Stony Brook University has found that the courses listed below have met the NYSED requirements in the past; however, this DOES NOT GUARANTEE that these courses will continue to meet this requirement in the future. When in doubt, please check with NYSED prior to registration for any course to determine its acceptability.

New York State Education Department Contact Information

Office of Teaching Initiatives
NYS Education Department (NYSED)
Albany, NY 12234
Telephone: 518.474.3901


CEC 536/LIN 532 Second Language Acquisition (prerequisites: permission of the instructor and LIN 530, or LIN 531 & 523)
CEL 541/LIN 541 Bilingualism (prerequisite: permission of the instructor)
CEL 542/LIN 542 Sociolinguistics (prerequisite: permission of the instructor)
LIN 530 Introduction to General Linguistics (prerequisite: permission of the instructor)

Note: If you have taken a course that is no longer listed above, please submit a NYSED Graduate Course Verification Form (PDF) to the appropriate academic department chairperson to verify that the course meets graduate-level content requirements (include a self-addressed stamped envelope). Once you have received the signed form, submit it to NYSED for final approval. Be sure to keep copies of all documentation and correspondence.

Because NYSED’s Office of Teaching Initiatives is the final authority, Stony Brook University cannot guarantee that NYSED will accept any particular course, even if it has been approved by an academic department. 

The information contained on this page was valid as of 8/14/2014.

Statement of Student Responsibility

Students themselves—whether new, returning, or continuing—are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and adhering to their degree and/or certificate program requirements. Students should keep in mind that degree requirements are  separate and distinct from requirements for teacher/administrator certification and resulting initial and/or professional licenses. Each student is responsible for reviewing, understanding and adhering to his/her certification requirements.   or further information, visit NYSED at

Login to Edit