Skip Navigation

Teacher Certification Information

Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Applicants

If you are a certified teacher and hold an initial license,* you will need to earn a master's degree to obtain professional certification. The MA in Liberal Studies can serve this purpose, provided that:

When applying for professional license, most Liberal Studies students should file via "certificate progression." Students who have questions about this should contact NYSED or their local BOCES Certification Office.

*If you are not yet licensed to teach, SPD offers several Master of Arts in Teaching programs that lead to licensure.

Content Areas

View our listing of professional certification content areas to see which courses might be used for certification. 

Please note that while hundreds of teachers have used courses taken in the Liberal Studies degree for the purposes of evaluation, SPD cannot guarantee that any specific course will be approved by NYSED. Only NYSED evaluators can decide whether a certain course will be accepted to meet a specific certificate requirement, and Stony Brook cannot be held responsible for their decisions regarding our courses.

Program applicants should review the University's course offerings to ensure that they are relevant to their specific certification needs.

  • SPD Courses. Most of the courses you will take will be offered through the School of Professional Development. Note that not all courses are offered each term. »View all certification areas
  • University Courses. This link goes to the Registrar's website. Liberal Studies students may be eligible to take courses offered through academic departments in other colleges and schools within the University to meet their certification requirements. Students must contact these departments for eligibility and permission to enroll.
  • CED 595 Project Seminar may not to be used to meet the NYSED 12-credit content requirement for professional licensure.
  • Contact NYSED at the address listed below if it is not apparent how individual courses meet your particular certification needs.


Contact Information

New York State Education Department 
Office of Teaching Initiatives
Albany, NY 12234
Telephone: 518.474.3901

School of Professional Development
Office of Records and Admissions
2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4434
Tel. 631.632.7055