Teacher Certification Information
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Applicants
If you are a certified teacher and hold an initial license,* you will need to earn a master's degree to obtain professional certification. The MA in Liberal Studies serves this purpose, provided that:
- you successfully complete at least 12 credits in the content area in which you hold an initial license;
- final grades in these content area courses must be a "B-" (B minus) or better; and
- you follow the steps outlined in our Sample Professional Certification Application Guide (PDF) for your TEACH on-line account. (Be advised that this is strictly a basic guide and information must be adjusted according to your history, education and experience as appropriate. For further information, visit NYSED at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/relatedmasters.html.)
When applying for professional license, Liberal Studies students must file for certificate progression via " Individual Evaluation."
*If you are not yet licensed to teach, SPD offers several Master of Arts in Teaching programs that lead to licensure.
View our listing of professional certification content areas to see which SPD courses might be used for certification; however please note it is in the student's best interest to obtain approval for a given course through their regional BOCES certification office prior to course registration .
Program applicants should review the University's course offerings to ensure that they are relevant to their specific certification needs.
- SPD Courses . Most of the courses you will take will be offered through the School of Professional Development. If you are applying for a professional teaching license, please note that SPD has separated our course listings into certification content areas for your convenience. » View all certification areas
- University Courses . This link goes to the Registrar's website. Liberal Studies students may be eligible to take courses offered through academic departments in other colleges and schools within the University to meet their certification requirements. Students must contact these departments for eligibility and permission to enroll.
- CED 595 Project Seminar, may not to be used to meet the NYSED 12-credit content requirement for professional licensure.
- Contact NYSED at the address listed below if it is not apparent how individual courses meet your particular certification needs.
- Frequently Asked Questions — For current and prospective Liberal Studies students who are seeking professional licensure.
- Sample Professional Certification Application Guide – A step-by-step explanation of how to file for certification
School of Professional Development