Frequently Asked Questions

When does my coverage become effective?
If you complete the health insurance enrollment form within 30 days of your appointment start date; insurance becomes effective on the appointment start date. If the enrollment form is completed after 30 days from your appointment start date there will be a 30 day waiting period.
What is the name of the Health Insurance?
The plan is called the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP), SUNY Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) for Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU). The Medical part of the plan uses Empire Providers.
The Dental benefits are administered by GHI and the Vision benefits through EyeMed.
How do I know which doctors accept this health insurance plan?
Please see below for ways to view a list of participating providers, please note that the Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits are administered by different companies and therefore have different lists of participating providers.
May I see a doctor who does not participate in the plan?
  • Medical: Yes, however it will be covered at an out-of-network benefit. Please call 1-877-769-7447 for information on your out of pocket costs.
  • Dental / Vision: No as there is not an Out-Of-Network benefit.
When can I expect to receive my health insurance ID card?
Once your enrollment form is received and processed by the Benefits Office; it typically takes about 2-3 weeks to receive a card. The card is mailed to the address you list on the enrollment form. The cards are mailed directly from the health insurance carrier.
Is my health insurance active without the card?
  • Medical: See Medical Reimbursement Procedure.
  • Dental: Yes although you may have to pay for services and be reimbursed for allowable charges by submitting a claim form.
  • Vision: Yes although you may have to pay for services and be reimbursed for allowable charges by submitting a claim form.
Do I need to select a Primary Care Physician (PCP)?
No, the insurance company does not require you to have a PCP. Also, if you need to see a specialist you do not need a referral.
Why did my bill get rejected by the insurance company?
There are several reasons this may have happened. You need to contact the insurance company directly at 1-877-769-7447 to inquire about hospital stays and doctor visits. The Benefits Office does not handle claims and therefore cannot help you with claims questions, only the insurance company can.
Why is my Emergency room bill not being paid by the insurance company?
You need to check with Empire Blue Cross & Blue Shield at 1-877-769-7447. You may have to write an appeals letter. Please see your Health Insurance Handbook for further details.
Why am I getting billed for the International Student Health Insurance when I have health insurance deducted from my paycheck?
An adjustment will be made to your student accounts bill during the month of October for the fall semester and by February for the spring semester. If you do not see the adjustment by then please contact the Benefits Office at (631) 632-6180.
I completed an enrollment form, why don't I see deductions from my paycheck yet?
Please allow 2-3 weeks for your form to be processed. If you do not see deductions after that then contact the Benefits Office at (631) 632-6180 to confirm that we have received your form
I elected family health coverage but only see deductions from my paycheck for individual coverage. What should I do?
Change to: You should contact the Benefits Office at (631) 632-6180; to have this corrected otherwise you will experience problems with coverage.
What happens to my health insurance during the semester break in January?
If you are in an active payroll status (receiving a paycheck) health insurance will continue. If you are not receiving a paycheck, health insurance will be terminated.
What happens to my health insurance over the summer, when I'm not receiving a paycheck?
If you are returning in the fall as Graduate Assistant or Teaching Assistant you may be eligible to continue coverage over the summer by completing a form. Double health insurance premiums will be deducted from your paycheck beginning in May to cover the entire summer.
What should I do if my funding changes from State to Research Foundation?
You should come to the Benefits Office and complete a new enrollment application. Your benefits will not automatically transfer.
What happens to my health insurance once my employment ends?
Your health insurance will end 28 days after the last day of the last payroll period worked. During this time you will receive a COBRA letter from the Department of Civil Service describing how to continue health insurance. You may continue coverage at group rates (plus a 2% administration fee) for up to 18 months.