Enrollment and Eligibility Requirements
There are only two opportunities to enroll in the health insurance plan.
- Within 30 days of your appointment date (deductions will be taken retroactively to cover you from the first day of employment).
- During the annual open enrollment period in August of each year.
Please note: Late enrollments will be subjected to a 30 day waiting period from the date the enrollment form is received in the Student Health Insurance Office.
You are eligible to enroll in the health insurance plan if ALL of the following conditions are met:
- You are appointed as a Graduate Assistant or Teaching Assistant.
- You work at least a one-half assistantship.
- You are employed at an annualized stipend of $4,979.50 or more.
- You are in an active pay status.
You may enroll the following dependents in your health insurance plan:
- Your legal spouse.
- Your unmarried children under age 26.
- Your Domestic Partner (call the Human Resource Services' Benefits Section at (631) 632-6180 for details on required qualifying criteria).
Coverage begins on the first day of eligible employment and will end 28 days from the last day of the pay period in which your position ends. At this time, COBRA benefits information will be mailed to you from the COBRA Unit in Albany. To ensure that this information reaches you, you must notify Human Resource Services of any address changes.