Graduate Student Services
Graduate students have various resources available to meet their needs as they take the next steps in their education. We have provided a list of valuable resources and opportunities offered to specifically accommodate graduate students.
As a graduate student, there is a wide range of on-campus employment options.
Our Career Center affords our students a multitude of opportunities. While the Career Center offers workshops around building your resume and cover letter, they also offer so much more. As a grad student, you have access to campus career fairs, facilities to hold interviews, and access to a network of partner companies that seek out Stony Brook graduates. In addition, the Career Center can connect you with job opportunities abroad through the MyWorldAbroad and GradConnection portals.
- Graduate Career Student Services
- Career Coach
- Internship opportunities
- On-campus leadership opportunities
The Center for Prevention and Outreach seeks to provide the campus community with the prevention, early intervention, education, and outreach services around the public health concerns impacting college students, including but not limited to, substance abuse, mental health, and sexual and interpersonal violence.
CAPS, our Counseling and Psychological Services, offers a variety of resources to assist graduate students along their journey and support their mental health and wellness. Students can meet with available counselors to chat or join a mindfulness mediation program. Below are just some of the services CAPS offers.
We understand that families come to Stony Brook University with their own set of unique opportunities and life circumstances. The Family Services and Support office is here to help navigate challenging times with you and your family.
Our Financial Aid office can help you navigate the available options to make Stony Brook financially possible. In addition, there are scholarships available just for graduate students.
Graduate students have the unique ability to reach out to a Graduate Student Advocate dedicated intentionally to help guide graduate students through various obstacles. In addition, the Graduate Student Advocate can connect you to available resources across campus.
Student Health Services is here to assist graduate students and deliver accessible, high quality, cost effective primary health care to a diverse student population. They are committed to preventative health and comprehensive wellness, integrating primary care with other student needs inherent in a healthy lifestyle. Below are some of the services they can provide.
The Student Support Team is geared to support all students when experiencing adversity and life's hardships. The Student Support Team coordinates efforts to assist graduate students who encounter challenges or concerns in achieving success at Stony Brook University. Their purpose is to empower students to overcome obstacles and to grow both inside and outside the classroom. Below are a few examples of the type of challenges the Student Support team can assist you with but are not limited to:
- Medical emergencies
- Death of a loved one
- Unexpected financial difficulty
- Food and housing insecurity
TimelyCare provides all Stony Brook students free 24/7 virtual access to medical and mental health services as well as health coaching, right from your phone or computer. Whether you're under the weather, anxious, or overwhelmed, or just need to talk to someone, you can connect virtually with a licensed provider. You can also click through each provider's bio to see their areas of focus e.g. anxiety, depression, diversity/equity/inclusion, gender affirming, LGBTQ, etc., ethnicity as well as languages spoken. To get started, visittimelycare.com/stonybrook.
- Medical: 24/7 on-demand access to a medical provider that can treat a wide range of common illnesses such as a sore throat, earache, cold and flu symptoms, sinus infection, allergies and more.
- Scheduled Medical: scheduled appointments to speak to a medical provider of your choice at a time convenient for your schedule.
- TalkNow: 24/7 on-demand access to speak with a mental health professional about anything on your mind.
- Scheduled Counseling: scheduled mental health counseling appointments to speak to a licensed counselor of your choice, at a time convenient for you (up to 12 visits per year).
- Health Coaching: access to a nutritional specialist to help you adopt healthier lifestyle behaviors related to sleep issues, weight management and more, as well as real-time wellness classes and pre-recorded videos.
TimelyCare services are included as part of the Health and Counseling broad based fee for all currently enrolled Stony Brook students.