Handshake is the SBU Career Center’s online recruiting database. Using this career networking site, you can look for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities. You can also search for employers, attend a job fair, or sign up for a career development workshop.
This video will introduce you to on-campus student employment. Learn what types of positions are available, how to find a job that is right for you, and how to search for jobs on Handshake.
After logging into Handshake, you will see tabs at the top of the page.
- Select "Jobs"
You will now see "Filters." Once you select this, you will need to click on the "On Campus" job type. This will show you all of the currently available jobs on campus. Federal Work Study positions will have "FWS" or "Work Study" in the job title.
After logging into Handshake you will see tabs at the top of the page.
- Select "Jobs"
Then click on "Filters." Scroll down to "Labeled by your school" and type in "on-campus internships." Hit "see" to view all available on-campus internships.
After logging into Handshake, you will see tabs at the top of the page
- Select "Events"
- Then select "Find Career Fairs"
Click on the fair you would like to attend. You should be able to register and view more information about the fair. You can view information such as which employers will be attending and what positions they are hiring for.
- Fill out your student profile - this allows employers to search for you and message you for potential opportunities.
- Check job postings frequently - jobs are updated daily. Just because you do not see the one you like today does not mean you won't see one tomorrow!
- Search jobs and internships by industry or career community, not by major. Companies tend to post opportunities based on industry, rather than a specific major.
- Save your resume and other application materials as a PDF. If you submit your resume to a job as a Word document, the formatting may be viewed differently on a hiring manager's computer!
- Need some help? Take a look at these resources on Handshake's help page.
- Ask questions. If you are confused about something on Handshake or need assistance applying to a position, visit the Career Center or call us at 631-632-6810. We are here to help!