Skip Navigation

requirements header

Be matriculated/(fees paid) in the current semester  - a matriculated student is any student who is admitted to the University and is pursuing a degree on a full time/part time basis.

Be in good academic standing   - students are in good academic standing if they earn at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and are not on academic warning/probation.

Provide a Social Security Number (SSN) and Identification   – an original SS card is required. International students need to obtain a SSN to work on-campus. If you recently received your SS card, please visit the Registrar to update your records. You may contact Visa & Immigration Services at 631-632-4685, at, or in Melville Library’s E5310 with any questions you may have. 

I-9 Form/Employment Eligibility Verification - when completing the I-9 form, you must provide an original picture ID and original proof of your citizenship (birth certificate, social security card, passport, etc.).  Copies of documents cannot be faxed or emailed; you must bring in the original document - this is federally mandated. Be sure to sign all documents as well.

Attend the New Student Employee Orientation  - this orientation, held several times each semester, is mandatory for students who have received a new role on campus. This orientation will explain work eligibility, types of positions, wor k hour restrictions, and workplace etiquette. Additionally, it will prepare and educate you for a job on campus, clarifying any possible questions and problems and helping you become acclimated with workplace expectations.

   Video Tutorials for Students


   Work Hour Restrictions


These are the maximum hours you may work per week for each position for the Fall and Spring semesters. Even if you have more than one job you must adhere to these restrictions.  Please note that this page is meant to serve as a general overview.  Hours and payment method can vary based on a department’s budget, funding source and needs.  If you have any questions about your hours, please be sure to check with your direct supervisor.

Federal Work Study = 40 hours per week

Student Assistant = 29 hours per week

Research Assistant = 20/29 hours per week

International Student = 20 hours per week unless otherwise specified

*Summer restrictions may apply to Research Foundation positions.

   Research Foundation Statement of Policy


In order for an employee to be appointed to a student title, the employee must satisfy all three of the following criteria:

  • The employee is enrolled as a full-time SUNY student. An employee is a SUNY student during the period that begins on the first day of the first semester in which he or she is enrolled and ends with the last day of the last semester during which he or she is enrolled.
  • The employee is engaged in work related to the student's education and training that leads to the fulfillment of the academic program; and
  • The employee is working part time during the academic year when classes are in session.

    When any one of the three criteria is not satisfied, the employee must be appointed to a nonstudent title. Then the current established Research Foundation fringe benefit rate would be applied to salaries and wages earned, and the employee would be eligible for fringe benefits on the same basis as other employees.

Students are generally appointed by semester and do not work continuously over a 12 month period.