Skip Navigation


  Student Assistant

Student Assistant positions are offered and paid by Stony Brook University departments and are open to any SBU student with a social security number, regardless of their financial aid package, year in school, or citizenship. Students in these positions may work a maximum of 29 hours a week among all positions.

 ♦ Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistants may work up to 20 hours a week and often work as .1 - .9 FTE. They can sometimes be paid through a stipend or tuition reimbursement. Please Note: You may also be a considered a regular Student Assistant even if you have graduate status. 

 ♦  Research Assistant

Research Assistants   are hired by faculty to assist in executing an academic research agenda. D epending on the department, a research assistant may work 20 or 29 hours during the school year depending on the department and up to 40 hours over the summer.

 ♦ Federal Work Study On-Campus (FWS)

Offered through the federal campus-based aid program, Federal Work Study (FWS) provides qualifying students employment opportunities to fund their college education. FWS salaries vary, depending on how much the student is granted and how many hours they will be working per week. These students may work up to 40 hours a week. Please adhere to these dates when filling out your FAFSA and applying for Federal Work Study.

Student Type  Priority Deadline
Freshman February 15th
Continuing February 15th

Like Student Assistant positions, a student is not eligible for employment under the Federal Work Study program unless they have a valid SSN. 

 ♦   Community Service Federal Work Study Off-Campus (CSFWS)

The Community Service Federal Work Study program (CSFWS) is a federally subsidized work program, which provides eligible students the opportunity to work for a public or 501 (c) 3 non-profit sector organization whose mission and work benefit the community.   

Stony Brook University participates in the Community Service FWS program during both: the academic year and summer s emesters.  The Career Center works with several community-based agencies that offer these positions to eligible students. Work performed off-campus must be in the public interest. Work in the public interest is defined as work performed for the welfare of the nation or community, rather than work performed for a particular interest or group. 

What are the benefits?
Participation in CS FWS allows students to combine the financial need for work with the personal desire to help the community and expand industry experience. Eligible students have the opportunity to:
  • Design a service experience in collaboration with a partnering organization. 
  • Network and make career contacts
  • Receive FWS funds in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck

*   It is recommended for students to have their own transportation to commute to and from the employer site.  

Who is eligible?
The Financial Aid Office determines each student’s semester eligibility and maximum earnings. Matriculated undergraduate/graduate students who have a financial aid package may qualify for CS FWS, with the following exceptions:
  • International students are not eligible
  • Graduating seniors are not eligible the summer after their senior year
During the summer term, students must be enrolled in at least one course in order to be eligible for FWS funding. For more information and with questions on how to secure a CS FWS position, please contact the Career Career at   631-632-6810  or 
Login to Edit