* Please note that this page is meant to serve as a general overview. Hours and payment method can vary based on a department’s budget, funding source and needs. If you have any questions about your hours, please be sure to check with your direct supervisor.
The Community Service Federal Work Study program (CSFWS) is a federally subsidized work program, which provides eligible students the opportunity to work for a public or 501 (c) 3 non-profit sector organization whose mission and work benefit the community.
Stony Brook University participates in the Community Service FWS program during both: the academic year and summer s emesters. The Career Center works with several community-based agencies that offer these positions to eligible students. Work performed off-campus must be in the public interest. Work in the public interest is defined as work performed for the welfare of the nation or community, rather than work performed for a particular interest or group.
- Design a service experience in collaboration with a partnering organization.
- Network and make career contacts
- Receive FWS funds in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck
* It is recommended for students to have their own transportation to commute to and from the employer site.Who is eligible?
- International students are not eligible
- Graduating seniors are not eligible the summer after their senior year
For more information on work study, please visit the Federal Work Study section of the Stony Brook Financial Aid Website.