Academic affairs personnel have primary responsibility for the organization, management and delivery of the College’s curriculum and academic programs. Although this office has limited direct interaction with students, it influences and implements policies and actions that affect the majority of students' experience at Stony Brook through thoughtful planning and communication. Note that the deadline for curricular proposals for the following academic year (summer through spring) is October 1. See Class Scheduling and Academic Year Scheduling Cycle on the Registrar website for scheduling deadlines.
Delivering the curriculum is a collaborative effort. In collaboration with faculty governance and the Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee, this office administers all requests for curricular initiatives, including proposals for new and revised programs and courses. The academic affairs area manages the instructional planning process, impacting instructional budgeting and personnel decisions. In conjunction with the office of enrollment management, we coordinate undergraduate student recruitment activities, and, with the university registrar’s office, we plan and manage the college’s schedule of classes.
Delivery of the curriculum and academic programs includes:
- Coordination with the work of the Arts and Sciences Senate’s Undergraduate Curriculum Committee . Here you will find approved minutes of the Curriculum Committee meetings, recent annual reports, guidelines and forms required for submission of proposals to the committee.
- Approval of new graduate courses.
- Oversight of curriculum, degree, and course modifications, enrollment management and course capacity management, and instructional needs.
- Coordination with departments and Registrar’s office and Academic and Transfer Advising Services.
- Management of the instructional planning proces.
- Maintenance and support of the college master schedule in PeopleSoft for summer, fall, winter and spring terms.
- Coordination of large classroom assignments and midterm/final exam schedules.
Paula Di Pasquale-Alvarez, Staff Associate for class scheduling and undergraduate student recruitment and orientation activities