SB AdvisoryMay 20, 2020 update: Keep up with the latest from Stony Brook about the coronavirus situation.  More information

How to Apply as an International Applicant

Applications are now being accepted for the fall 2020 semester. Special accommodations will be made for students who have had test cancellations due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Please contact us at to discuss your specific circumstances.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we encourage applicants to have all documents, including transcripts, sent electronically. Many universities offer electronic transcript services. If your college/university does not offer such an option, we will accept transcripts that are emailed to from college/university staff on your behalf. As a last resort, you may upload an unofficial copy of your transcript to your SBU Applicant Portal. Note: an official transcript from your college/university will be required at a later time.

Step 1: Apply for Admission

First-Year Applicants: Apply using The Common Application.
Transfer Applicants: Apply using The Common Application or The SUNY Application.
Application Fee: $50

Step 2: Send Your Academic Credentials

Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence. It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are received.

  1. Submit your English Proficiency via an official score report for the TOEFL, SAT, ACT, IELTS, or PTE Academic.
  2. Submit your Academic Records.
    • Freshman Applicants: Official secondary school records.
    • Transfer Applicants: Official secondary school records and Official transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended. See transfer credit policies.

All transcripts must be sent directly from your high school or college, submitted in the original language (if not in English, they must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation). Notarized copies of original documents will also be accepted, and your counselors may upload official transcripts electronically through your application system.

Step 3: Submit Your Financial Documentation

International applicants must document their ability to meet educational and living expenses for one-year of study so that Stony Brook University can issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (I-20). Shortly after applying, you will receive login instructions for accessVIS, Stony Brook's portal for visa and immigration services. In accessVIS, you must upload scanned copies of the following documents:

Priority Deadlines

Entry TermPriority DeadlineSupporting DocumentsNotification Schedule
Fall 2020 Freshmen January 15 - Extended January 15 - Extended By April 1
Fall 2020 Transfers March 1 March 1 Rolling
Spring 2020 November 1 November 1 Rolling

*Encouraged to apply by October 1 to allow sufficient time for I-20 processing.

Already Studying in the US?

The following items will be required in accessVIS:

  • F-1: photocopies of all Form I-20’s (pages 1 & 3 of SEVIS I-20’s; pages 3 & 4 pre-SEVIS I-20’s)
  • J-1: a photocopy of DS-2019
  • Photocopy of both sides of current Form I-94 (stapled in your passport upon arrival in the U.S.)
  • Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo

The State University of New York (SUNY) policy prohibits Stony Brook admission applications from inquiring into an applicant's prior criminal history. After acceptance, the College shall inquire if the student previously has been convicted of a felony if such individual seeks campus housing or participation in clinical or field experiences, internships or study abroad programs. The information required to be disclosed under SUNY policy regarding such felony convictions shall be reviewed by a standing campus committee consistent with the legal standards articulated in New York State Corrections Law. Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the dean's office of their intended academic program.