Undergraduate Music Application
First-Year Freshman Applicants
If you will be coming to Stony Brook as a first-year student and already know that you would like to major in music, there are advantages to being “pre-approved.” Most importantly, it means that we will consider you for scholarships. It also means you know exactly which courses you need to take when you arrive at the beginning of the Fall semester and can already declare music as your major.
You must go through the pre-approval process if you want to be considered for a music scholarship.
Current students or transfer students
You do not need to go through the pre-approval process to major in music at Stony Brook. We offer audition times and placement tests at the beginning of each semester, and many students take this option, particularly if they are already a Stony Brook student, or are a transfer student. All current Stony Brook students and prospective transfer students should be in touch with the Undergraduate Studies Director, Deborah Heckert ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Read through the overview page for general information about the application process.
- Complete your online application to Stony Brook University. For additional information, contact the Admissions Office at (631) 632-6868. You must complete this step before proceeding.
- Once you receive your Stony Brook ID number, apply to the Music Department by completing the online music major form.
- Plan to take a live online music theory placement test via Zoom. You will select a date in the Music Major application form.
- Along with submitting your application form, you will be required to attach two recorded videos to your application which show you singing or playing two contrasting works. Find the requirements for your instrument or voice type.
The deadline for receipt of applications and all supporting materials for Fall 2021 admission is Febtuary 1, 2021.
We hope to notify students that they are pre-approved by March 1.