WELCOME, INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS!
Stony Brook University offers a world of possibilities, with more than 200 academic
programs, exciting undergraduate research opportunities and an ideal location for
learning on Long Island's North Shore — just 60 miles from New York City.
Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence.
It is each applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application credentials are
- Submit your English Proficiency via an official score report* for the TOEFL, Duolingo, SAT, ACT, IELTS, AP, IB, A
levels or PTE Academic.
- SAT and TOEFL Code: 2548, ACT Code: 2952
- *Stony Brook will be test optional for applicants for Spring 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022. International students are still expected to submit proof of English Proficiency
by way of one of the exams below. Admission to Stony Brook is based on a holistic
review of a student’s academic record including the overall grade point average and
strength of curriculum, as well as other academic and personal factors such as co-curricular
and community involvement, evidence of leadership, special talents or interest.
- View eligibility requirements.
- Submit your Academic Records.
- Freshman Applicants: Official secondary school records.
- Transfer Applicants: Official secondary school records and Official transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended. See transfer credit policies.
All transcripts must be sent directly from your high school or college, submitted
in the original language (if not in English, they must be accompanied by an exactly
worded and certified translation). Notarized copies of original documents will also
be accepted, and your counselors may upload official transcripts electronically through
your application system.
International students must document their ability to meet educational and living
expenses for one year of study
so that Stony Brook University can issue a Certiﬁcate of Visa Eligibility (I-20).
Admitted students will receive login instructions for accessVIS, Stony Brook's portal
for visa and immigration services for Fall after March 1 and for Spring after October
accessVIS, you must upload scanned copies of the following documents:
The following items will be required in accessVIS:
- F-1: photocopies of all Form I-20’s (pages 1 & 3 of SEVIS I-20’s; pages 3 & 4 pre-SEVIS
- J-1: a photocopy of DS-2019
- Photocopy of both sides of current Form I-94 (stapled in your passport upon arrival
in the U.S.)
- Photocopy of U.S. visa page with picture photo