Second Degree

dummy text for mobile image view

Second Degree

The following restrictions apply to Stony Brook University’s Second Bachelor Degree Program.
  • A second bachelor's degree may only be earned in a discipline that is significantly different from the first bachelor's degree.
  • Admission to our Second Bachelor’s Degree Program is extremely limited due to a lack of capacity in most of our undergraduate programs and second-degree candidates are typically not admitted to majors within the STEM disciplines and the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
  • Priority for admission to the University is given to first-degree candidates. We will not begin notifying fall applicants to our Second Bachelor’s Degree Program of admission decisions until August, after first-degree applicants are notified and we have determined what, if any, capacity remains in our undergraduate programs.
  • We reserve the right to restrict enrollment to only those courses required for the second bachelor's degree.
  • Those admitted to our Second Bachelor's Degree Program may not change their major without the approval of the Dean of Admissions.

Due to the restrictions* noted above, we recommend the exploration of options offered at other institutions to obtain the desired education.

Those who elect to apply to Stony Brook University for a second bachelor's degree are required to:

  1. Apply as a transfer student
  2. Submit official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
  3. Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in all post-secondary studies

Prior to the start of classes, a final transcript from the institution awarding the first bachelor’s degree must be submitted, indicating the previous degree earned on the official transcript.

Students accepted to the program must earn at least 36 credits in residence at Stony Brook, including completion of a new major and selected general education requirements.

*Second bachelor degree applicants for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Nursing, Respiratory Care, or Social Work, should contact the Health Sciences Center for restrictions and application procedures.

If you are interested in earning a graduate degree at Stony Brook, please contact the Graduate School for application procedures and deadlines.

Take the Next Steps

Take the Next Steps