PURSUING A SECOND DEGREE
The following restrictions apply to Stony Brook University’s Second Bachelor Degree
- A second bachelor's degree may only be earned in a discipline that is significantly
different from the first bachelor's degree.
- Admission to our Second Bachelor’s Degree Program is extremely limited due to a lack
of capacity in most of our undergraduate programs and second-degree candidates are
typically not admitted to majors within the STEM disciplines and the College of Engineering
and Applied Sciences.
- Priority for admission to the University is given to first-degree candidates. We will
not begin notifying fall applicants to our Second Bachelor’s Degree Program of admission
decisions until August, after first-degree applicants are notified and we have determined
what, if any, capacity remains in our undergraduate programs.
- We reserve the right to restrict enrollment to only those courses required for the
second bachelor's degree.
- Those admitted to our Second Bachelor's Degree Program may not change their major
without the approval of the Dean of Admissions.
Due to the restrictions* noted above, we recommend the exploration of options offered
at other institutions to obtain the desired education.
Those who elect to apply to Stony Brook University for a second bachelor's degree
are required to:
- Apply as a transfer student
- Submit official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in all post-secondary studies
Prior to the start of classes, a final transcript from the institution awarding the
first bachelor’s degree must be submitted, indicating the previous degree earned on
the official transcript.
Students accepted to the program must earn at least 36 credits in residence at Stony
Brook, including completion of a new major and selected general education requirements.
*Second bachelor degree applicants for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Nursing, Respiratory
Care, or Social Work, should contact the Health Sciences Center for restrictions and application procedures.
If you are interested in earning a graduate degree at Stony Brook, please contact
the Graduate School
for application procedures and deadlines.