Content is always the first thing you need to consider when planning a website. Ask yourself the following questions when you are planning your site.
- What is the goal of this site or page?
- How long is my message?
- What images can I use to reinforce my message?
- Do I need a call-to-action (a button or a link) so that I guide site visitors in the right direction?
- Who is my audience? (students, faculty, staff, campus community, external community, etc)
- Does my tone and language speak appropriately to my audience?
- Is it clear for a website visitor to complete the main goals of this site? (minimum amount of page drilldowns and link "clicks")
- Is my content useful, necessary and effective?
Making these thoughts a holistic part of your website planning and updating process will contribute largely to the success and effectiveness of your website.