Tenure and Promotion to Associate Professor
Promotion and Tenure (PTC) Files must be created and submitted through Interfolio.
Tenure track faculty members must be evaluated for tenure (continuing appointment) no later than their 12th semester of full time service at Stony Brook.
Deadlines for submission of files for tenure/promotion to Associate Professor to the Dean’s Office:
- January 15 for faculty on academic year appointments (start date Fall semester)
- May 15 for faculty on calendar year appointments (start date Spring semester)
Preparation of the tenure file begins well before these deadlines (see also Timeline for Junior Faculty). Some milestones:
- Peer teaching observation: generally, semesters 5 and 9 or 10
- Solicitation of letters from external reviewers: semester 10.
Instructions on preparing tenure/promotion files are found at the links below:
The members of the CAS Promotion and Tenure Committee now only read the files directly in Interfolio. The department should create and submit these files directly through Interfolio: Administrator Guidelines for Interfolio Procedures for Review, Promotion, and Tenure (RPT)
Eligibility to vote (PTC Guidelines 2.5.1):
- on promotion to Associate Professor: All department members who hold Associate or Full Professor rank.
- on tenure (for external candidates being appointed at rank of Associate Professor): All department members with tenure (continuing appointment).