Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) has been developed especially for Stony Brook students (and their dependents) to provide access to comprehensive care that complements the quality health services on campus.
The details of the plan are reviewed and recommended each year by committee members to ensure that the coverage is well-suited to the needs of the Stony Brook students and respectful of their budgets. SHIP is administered by UnitedHealthcare. The Plans meet all of the student health insurance standards developed by the American College Health Association.
SHIP is tailor-made for the college population.
- COVID-19 Vaccine - 100% covered
- Tele-health and tele-counseling
- Provides continuous coverage at a reasonable cost for most on or off-campus medical care over Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer Semesters.
- Covers pre-existing medical conditions & preventative care.
- Annual deductible $300 for an individual.
- Annual out of pocket limit of $4,000 which includes deductibles, copays and coinsurance.
- Covers inpatient and outpatient mental health care. $20 copay for in network providers. $20 plus 30% coinsurance for out of network providers.
- Physician copay $50 in-network or out-of-network.
- Rx copayment: $30 Tier 1 / $50 Tier 2 / $75 Tier 3
- No deductible applied to prescription drug coverage.
No copayment on laboratory procedures performed in a PCP office, Specialist office & Performed as Outpatient Hospital Services.
More Info: 2022-2023 brochures are coming soon!
Emergency Room vs. Urgent Care: Only Emergency Services for the treatment of an Emergency Condition are covered in an ER.
Emergency Room: $100 copay after policy year deductible then you pay 20% coinsurance (copayment/coinsurance waived if hospital admission).
Urgent Care: $35 copay after policy year deductible then you pay 0% for cost-sharing.
All full-time, matriculated domestic Stony Brook students are automatically enrolled onto the student health insurance plan. Students have the option to waive the student health insurance plan if they have comparable coverage that meets the required standards of the University.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about benefits, coverage, claims or exclusions you may contact United Healthcare Customer Service at 1-800-767-0700 or email@example.com or visit myaccount.uhcsr.com/login
For questions about insurance charges on your student account or your waiver status, you may contact the Student Health Insurance Office located at:
FSA Student Insurance Office
West Side Dining, Second Floor (FSA Suite)
Phone: (631) 632-6054