Skip Navigation

Outbound Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

Coverage Overview and Rates:

Currently Enrolled:

FAQs and Contact Information:


Eligibility, Coverage, Rates and Enrollment


All full-time, matriculated outbound (Study Abroad) Stony Brook students are automatically enrolled onto the student health insurance plan. This plan is mandatory and cannot be waived for those studying abroad.

The Outbound Student Health Insurance coverage is also available for all university-approved travel. In order to enroll in Outbound coverage please fill out the Outbound Enrollment Form and email the completed form to

Coverage Highlights

2023-2024 Coverage Brochure

2023-2024 Highlight Sheet


Contact the Student Health Insurance Office at or the Study Abroad Office at with any questions or concerns.

Coverage Rates

2023 - 2024 Annual Fall Spring/Summer Summer 2024
Student $889.04 $371.65 $517.39 $223.48
Spouse/Domestic Partner $686.00 $286.77 $399.23 $172.44
One Dependent $686.00 $286.77 $399.23 $172.44
Two or More Dependents $1,372.00 $573.34 $798.46 $344.89
Spouse and Two or More Children $2,058.00 $860.31 $1,197.69 $517.33


Coverage Periods

Coverage Period Coverage Start Date Coverage End Date Enrollment/Waiver Deadline
Annual 8/15/2023 8/14/2024 8/23/2023
Fall 8/15/2023 1/14/2024 8/23/2023
Spring/Summer 1/15/2024 8/14/2024 1/24/2024
Summer 5/15/2024 8/14/2024 -


Enrollment Form

Outbound Enrollment Form


The fee is billed to your student account in SOLAR. Just like all other tuition & fees, this charge is payable by cash, check, money order, credit card or through financial aid.


Tele-Health and Tele-Counseling

UnitedHealthcare StudentResources and HealthiestYou have partnered together to provide access to doctors and mental healthcare from anywhere you are, even while traveling internationally. All services are free for students covered under the UHCSR insurance plan; services are available for all other students for a fee, as noted in the pdf below.


Your Health Insurance Plan

Sample of your UHC Health Insurance ID CardIf you present this insurance card for use, please note that you will be using the University Student Health Insurance.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pay for the insurance?

The charge is placed on your Solar account with tuition and fees.

How do I get my insurance card?

Your insurance card will be emailed to your stony brook email address, and will come from (United Healthcare Student Resources).

Am I only covered in NY State?

No, the international student insurance coverage is worldwide.

Does the coverage include dental and vision?

Our student health insurance does not include vision. Dental coverage is included up until the age of 18.

Is the HPV Vaccine covered by the Student Health Insurance?

The HPV vaccine coverage age limit, has now been increased to age 45. The benefit ends on the insured’s 46th birthday.

Can I cancel the coverage early?

No. our policy does not allow for early termination.

I am graduating soon. What are my options for health insurance after I graduate?

With graduation approaching, now is the time to start thinking about your health insurance coverage. As a young adult, you have choices: stay on your parent’s health plan, buy your own plan, or get coverage through a new job.

If you decide to get your own insurance, you’ll find lots of choices at NY State of Health. There are many plans at different coverage levels and all plans cover health services such as yearly check-ups, flu shots, emergency services and prescription drugs. You may be surprised how affordable getting coverage can be. Some plans will cost less than your monthly cell phone bill and for some people, depending on income, coverage will be free.

Even if Open Enrollment for the year has ended, you may still be able to enroll in coverage this year if you qualify for free coverage, or if you enroll within 60 days of a Qualifying Life Event. Qualifying Life Events include no longer being eligible to stay on your parent’s health insurance, loss of other health insurance, a permanent move to another part of New York State, getting married or having a child.


Have additional questions or are ready to enroll?

We have lots of trained experts who will guide you step by step in selecting and signing up for a plan that’s right for you. To find an assistor in your community, go or call us at 1-855-355-5777, TTY: 1-800-662-1220.

Download the Graduation Fact Sheet

I am turning 26, and need to enroll in the Student Health Insurance. Who can I contact?

Please email

I am a Teaching Assistant, Graduate Assistant, or Research Assistant who wants to enroll in employee coverage. How do I do that?

You must confirm with your department that you are eligible to enroll in the employee coverage, and then enroll directly with HR Benefits. You can email them at or call them at (631) 632-6180.

What is a "Notice of Termination Letter"?

This letter would come from your insurance provider, letting you know when your current coverage with them will end.

Contact Us

For questions about benefits, coverage, claims or exclusions contact:

United Healthcare Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-767-0700


For questions about insurance charges on your student account contact:

FSA Student Insurance Office
West Side Dining, Second Floor (FSA Suite)
Phone: (631) 632-6054