Patient Rights and Responsibilities
THE PATIENT HAS A RIGHT:
- To receive considerate and respectful care at the Stony Brook Student Health Service.
- To an explanation of the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis in understandable terms.
- To receive all necessary information to participate in decisions with regard to your care.
- To refuse treatment and to be informed of the consequences of making this decision.
- To privacy.
- To confidential treatment of disclosures and medical records, and, except when required by law, is afforded the opportunity to approve or refuse their release.
- To know the names and titles of the people involved in your care and the right to change practitioners.
- To a full explanation of any research or experimental procedure proposed for treatment and the opportunity to refuse to participate.
- To be informed of possible charges related to your treatment
- To another medical opinion.
- To change providers if other qualified providers are available.
THE PATIENT HAS A RESPONSIBILITY:
- To provide accurate and complete information about your medical history and to inform clinicians of any changes in your health status that could affect your treatment
- To adhere to a prescribed treatment plan and to discuss any desired change with your clinician.
- To act in a considerate and cooperative manner with the Student Health Center Staff.
- To ask questions and seek clarification regarding areas of concern.
- To weigh the consequences of non-compliance regarding instructions, recommendations and follow-up visits.
- To assist the clinicians in compiling a complete record by authorizing the Student Health Service to obtain necessary medical information from appropriate sources.
- To keep appointments on time.
- To cancel appointments only when absolutely necessary, and far enough in advance so that other patients might utilize that time.
- To accept personal financial responsibility for any charges not covered by insurance.
Download the Notice of Uses and Disclosure of Information (PDF)