- Kevin Young, Tarun Banerjee, and Michael Schwartz, The Power of Disruption: How Corporate Elites, State Officials, and Social Movements Make Government Policy, London, Vrso, 2020 (in press).
- Heerwig, Jennifer A. and Brian J. McCabe. Forthcoming 2020. "High-Dollar Donors and Donor-Rich Neighborhoods. Representational Distortion in Financing a Municipal Election in Seattle." Urban Affairs Review.
- Kim, Jessica* and Kathleen Fallon. 2020. “The Political Sociology of Democracy: From Measurement to Rights,” in The Handbook of Political Sociology, eds. I. Martin, T. Janosky, J. Misra, C. De Leon. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Sommer, Jamie* and Kathleen Fallon. 2020. “ The Pathway to Improving Human and Economic Development: Girls’ Secondary Education, Governance, and Education Expenditures .” Social Forces. 99(1): 205–229.
- Shandra, Carrie L. Forthcoming. "Disability and Patterns of Leisure Participation across the Life Course." The Journals of Gerontology: Series B. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbaa065.
- Tasmim, Samia, .Sommer, Jamie M., Shorette, Kristen, and John M. Shandra. 2020. “Non-Governmental Organizations, Boomerangs, and Forest Loss: A Cross-National Analysis.” Environmental Sociology 22: 1-17.
- Sommer, Jamie M., Restivo, Michael, and John M. Shandra. 2020. “China, Mining, and Unequal Ecological Exchange: A Cross-National Analysis of Forest Loss.” Sociological Quarterly 22: 1-23.
- Restivo, Michael, Shandra, John M., and Jamie Sommer. 2020. “Exporting Forest Loss: A Cross-National Analysis of the United States Export-Import Bank Financing.” Journal of Environment and Development 29: 245-269.
- Sommer, Jamie M., Restivo, Michael, and John M. Shandra. 2020. “United States, Debt-for-Nature Swaps, and Forest Loss: A Cross-National Analysis.” Journal of Development Studies 56: 748-764
- Sommer Jamie M., Restivo, Michael, and John M. Shandra. 2020. “India, Palm Oil, and Ecologically Unequal Exchange: A Cross-National Analysis.” Sociological Perspectives 63: 312-332.
- Shandra, John M., Restivo, Michael., and Jamie Sommer. 2020. “Appetite for Destruction? China, Agriculture, Unequal Exchange, and Forest Loss.” Rural Sociology 8: 346-365.
- Levy, Daniel. Forthcoming. "Traumatism and the Changing of Temporal Figurations” Social Research International Quarterly (Fall).
- Levy, Daniel. Forthcoming. "Memory Practices and Theory in a Global Age” (New revised edition) Handbook of Contemporary Social and Political Theory, Gerard Delanty and Stephen Turner (eds.) Routledge.
- Levy, Daniel. 2020 "Catastrophic Teleologies and Contemporary Memory Cultures” Soziale Gedächtnisse der Katastrophe Oliver Dimbath and Michael Heinlein (eds.) Berlin: Spring VS. pp: 389-404.
- Levy, Daniel. 2020. Zeitschrift für Fußball und Gesellschaft (2020) Kick and Run. Memoir with Soccer Ball, Jonathan Wilson Bloomsbury Reader. 2013.
- Fleming, Crystal M. and Hewan Girma. Forthcoming. “‘Positive Discrimination Doesn’t Mean Anything’: Understanding Minority Opposition to Affirmative Action in France.” Social Problems.
- Fleming, Crystal M. In Press. “On the Illegibility of French Anti-blackness: Notes from an African American Critic” in Moon-Kie Jung and João H. Costa Vargas (Eds.) The Wretched of the World: The Past and Present of Antiblackness, Durham: Duke University Press.
- Fleming, Crystal M. 2020. “How to Be Less Stupid About Race in France.” H-France Salon, Volume 12, Issue 1, #6. Available online: https://h-france.net/Salon/SalonVol12no1.6.Fleming.pdf
- Thomas Maher, Charles Seguin, Yongjun Zhang, and Andrew Davis. 2020. “Sharing Expertise: Social Scientists before Congress, 1946-2015.” PLOS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0230104
- Mayrl, Damon, and Nicholas Hoover Wilson. "The archive as a social world." Qualitative Sociology 43.3 (2020): 407-426.
- Mayrl, Damon, and Nicholas Hoover Wilson. "What Do Historical Sociologists Do All Day? Analytic Architectures in Historical Sociology." American Journal of Sociology 125.5 (2020): 1345-1394.
- Joshua Murray and Michael Schwartz, Wrecked: How the American Automobile Industry Destroyed Its Capacity to Compete, New York: Russell Sage 2019 (in press).
- Heerwig, Jennifer A. and Joshua Murray. Forthcoming 2019. "The Political Strategies and Unity of the American Corporate Inner Circle: Evidence from Political Donations, 1982 - 2000." Social Sciences.
- Sommer, Jamie, Shandra, John M. and Carolyn Coburn. 2019. "Mining Export Flows, Repression, and Forest Loss: A Cross-National Test of Ecologically Unequal Exchanges." In Frey, R., Gellert P., Dahms H. (eds.). Ecologically Unequal Exchange. 167-193.
- Sommer, Jamie, Shandra, John M., Restivo, Michael, and Holly Reed. 2019. "The African Development Bank and Organized Hypocrisy: A Cross-National Analysis of Maternal Mortality." Sociology of Development 5: 31 - 49.
- Shandra, John M., Restivo, Michael, and Jamie Sommer. 2019. "Do China's Environmental Gains at Home Fuel Forest Loss Abroad: A Cross-National Analysis." Journal of World Systems Research 1: 1-29.
- Fleming, Crystal M. 2019. Review of “How We Get Free” by Keeanga Yamahtta-Taylor for Humanity & Society. 43 (2): 211-214.
- Andrew Davis and Yongjun Zhang. 2019. “Civil Society and Exposure to Domestic Terrorist Attacks: Evidence from a Cross-National Quantitative Analysis, 1970-2010.” International Journal of Comparative Sociology. https://doi.org/10.1177/0020715219837752
- Jeremy Fiel and Yongjun Zhang. 2019. “With All Deliberate Speed: The Reversal of Court-Ordered School Desegregation in the United States, 1970-2013.” American Journal of Sociology 124 (6): 1685-1719. https://doi.org/10.1086/703044
- Heerwig, Jennifer A. and Joshua Murray. 2019. "The Political Strategies and Unity of the American Corporate Inner Circle: Evidence from Political Donations, 1982 - 2000." Social Problems 66(4): 580-608
- Brian J. McCabe and Jennifer A. Heerwig. 2019. “Diversifying the Donor Pool: Did Seattle’s Democracy Voucher Program Help Reshape Participation in Municipal Campaign Finance?” Election Law Journal 18(4): 323-341.
- Jason J. Jones, Mohammad Ruhul Amin, Jessica Kim, and Steven Skiena. 2019. “ Stereotypical Gender Associations in Language Have Decreased Over Time.” Sociological Science 7(1): 1-35.
- Fleming, Crystal M. How to Be Less Stupid About Race: On Racism, White Supremacy and the Racial Divide. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Heerwig, Jennifer A. 2018. "Money in the Middle: Contribution Strategies among Affluent Donors to Federal Elections, 1980 - 2008." American Journal of Sociology 123: 1004-1063
- Burroway, Rebekah and Andrew Hargrove. 2018. "Education is the Antidote: Individual- and Community-Level Effects of Maternal Education on Child Immunizations in Nigeria." Social Science & Medicine 213: 63-71
- Bhandari, Aarushi and Rebekah Burroway. 2018. "Hungry for Equality: A Longitudinal Analysis of Women's Legal Rights and Food Security in Developing Countries" The Sociological Quarterly 59(3): 424-448
- Fallon, Kathleen, Anna-Lilsa Aunio, and Jessica Kim. 2018. "Decoupling International Agreements from Domestic Policy: The State and Soft Repression." Human Rights Quarterly 40(4): 932-961.
- Carrie L. Shandra. 2018. "Disability as Inequality: Social Disparities, Health Disparities, and Participation in Daily Activities." Social Forces 97(1): 157-192.
- Restivo, Michael, Shandra, John M., and Jamie Sommer. 2018. "United States Agency for International Development and Environmental Aid: A Cross-National Analysis of Forest Loss." Social Science Journal 55: 171-181.
- Heerwig, Jennifer A. and Katie Gordon. 2018. "Buying a Voice: Gendered Contribution Careers Among Affluent Political Donors to Federal Elections, 1980 - 2008." Sociological Forum 33(3): 805-825
- Herrnson, S. Paul, Jennifer A. Heerwig and Douglas M. Spencer. 2018. "The Impact of Organizational Characteristics on Super PAC Financing." pp 248 - 262 in The State of the Parties: The Changing Role of Contemporary American Political Parties, edited by John C. Green, Daniel J. Coffey, and David B. Cohen. New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Levy, Daniel. "Risk and the Cosmopolitanization of Solidarities" Journal of Risk Research 20(6): 1 - 12.
- Arjomand, Said. “The Rise of Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities and the Challenge of Comparative Sociology,” European Journal of Social Theory, 20.2 (2017). (published online May 4, 2016 and accessible at http://est.sagepub.com/content/early/rece
- Fleming, Crystal M. 2017. Resurrecting Slavery: Racial Legacies and White Supremacy in France. Philadelphia: Temple University Press
- Shandra, Carrie L . and Anna Penner. 2017. “Benefactors and Beneficiaries? Disability and Care to Others.” Journal of Marriage and Family 79(4): 1160–1185.*** 2017 Outstanding Publication in the Sociology of Disability Award, ASA Section on Disability and Society.
- Jones, J.J., Bond, R.M., Bakshy Ed., Eckles, D., & Fowler, J.H. (2017). Social influence and political mobilization: Further evidence from a randomized experiment in the 2012 US presidential election. PloS one, 12(4), e0173851.
- Carrie L. Shandra. 2017. "Disability and Social Participation: The Case of Formal and Informal Volunteering." Social Science Research 68:195-213.
- Rademacher, Heidi and Kathleen Fallon. 2017. " International Feminsms: Historical Roots and U.S. Participation." The Oxford Handbook of U.S. Women's Social Movements Activism . Edited by Holly J. McCammon, Lee Ann Banaszak, Verta Taylor, and Jo Reger. New York University Press.
- Fallon, Kathleen, Alissa Mazar, and Liam Swiss. 2017. " The Benefits of Maternity Leave." World Development 96: 102-118 **Invited policy version: " Do Maternity Leave Benefits Improve Economic and Social Development in Developing Countries ?" Sociological Insights for Development Policy, ASA Section of Development Sociology. vol 2, no4, June 16 2017
- Fallon, Kathleen and Heidi E. Rademacher. 2017. "Social Movements as Women's Political Empowerment: The Case for Measurement." in Measuring Women's Political Empowerment , eds. A. Alexander, C. Bolzendahl, and F. Jalalzai. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Sommer, Jamie, Shandra, John M ., and Restivo, Michael. 2017. "The World Bank, Contradictory Lending, and Forests: A Cross-National Analysis of Organized Hypocrisy." International Sociology 32: 707-730.
- Coburn, Carolyn, Restivo, Michael, Reed, Holly, and Shandra John M. 2017. "The World Bank, Reproductive Health Lending, and Maternal Mortality: A Cross-National Analysis of Sub-Saharan Africa." Sociological Forum 32: 50-71.
- Levy, Daniel. "Memory Studies: What is it...good for?" in Memory Studies 10(4).
- Levy, Daniel. "Methodological Cosmopolitanism" in Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social Theory (ed. Bryan S. Turner). John Wiley & Sons.
- Arnout van de Rijt, Idil Akin, Robb Willer and Matthew Feinberg. 2016. “Success-Breeds-Success in Collective Political Behavior: Evidence from a Field Experiment.” Sociological Science 3: 940-950.
- Burroway, Rebekah. 2016. “Democracy and Child Health in Developing Countries. " International Journal of Comparative Sociology 57(5): 338-364.
- Arnout van de Rijt & Idil Akin. 2016. “Five Field-Experimental Tests of Preferential Attachment.” Forthcoming in James Moody and Ryan Light (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Social Network Analysis , Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Arnout van de Rijt. 2016. “The Social Revolution.” Book review of Margetts et al. 2016, “Political Turbulence.” Science 351: 924.
- Swiss, Liam and Kathleen Fallon. 2016. “Women’s Transnational Activism, Norm Cascades, and Quota Adoption in the Developing World.” Politics and Gender. First Published: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1743923X16000477
- Fallon, Kathleen and Julie Moreau. 2016. “Revisiting Repertoire Transition: Women’s Nakedness as Potent Protests in Nigeria and Kenya.” Mobilization 21(3): 323-340.
- Fallon, Kathleen and Jocelyn Viterna. 2016. “Gender, Democracy, and the State.” in Sociology of Development Handbook, edited by Gregory Hooks. Oakland, California: University of California Press.
- Daniel Levy (2016) “Cosmopolitanizing Catastrophism: Remembering the Future” Theory, Culture and Society pp:1-9.
- Veronica Terriquez and Tiffany D. Joseph. 2016. “Ethnoracial Inequality and Insurance Coverage among Latino Young Adults.” Social Science & Medicine 168: 150-158, Published online Sep. 20 , DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.08.039 .
- Arjomand, Said . Sociology of Shiʿite Islam, Collected Essays, Brill, 2016
- Arjomand, Said. “Developmental Path ( Entwicklungsform): A Neglected Weberian Concept and its Usefulness in Civilizational Analysis of Islam,” in R. Robertson and J. Simpson, The Art and Science of Sociology: Essays in Honour of Edward Tiryakian, Anthem Press, 2016, pp. 43-78.
- Arjomand, Said. “Unity of the Persianate World under Turko-Mongolian Domination and Divergent Development of Imperial Autocracies in the Sixteenth Century,” Journal of Persianate Studies, 9.1 (2016), pp. 1-18.
- Arjomand, Said. “State Formation in Early Modern Muslim Empires: Common Origin and Divergent Paths,” Social Imaginaries, 2.2 (2016), pp. 35-51.
- Fleming, Crystal M. 2016. "Spirituality and Mindfulness" in Gender: Love, edited by Jennifer C. Nash. Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbook series. Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Shandra, Carrie L. 2016 . “Nonmarket Work among Working-Age Disability Beneficiaries: Evidence from the American Time Use Survey. Journal of Disability Policy Studies 27(2): 76-85
- Shandra Carrie L., Masra Shameem, and Sadaf Ghori. 2016. "Disability and the Context of Boys' First Sexual Intercourse." Journal of Adolescent Health 58(3): 302-309.
- Damon Centola and Arnout van de Rij t. 2015. “Choosing Your Network: Social Preferences in an Online Health Community." Social Science and Medicine 125: 19-31.
- Gabriela Gonzalez, Juhi Tyagi, Idil Akin, Fernanda Page, Michael Schwartz and Arnout van de Rijt. 2015. “In Vivo Experimental Study of Emergent Mobilization in Online Collective Action.” Mobilization, forthcoming.
- Oyeronke Oyewumi . 2015. What Gender is Motherhood: Changing Yoruba Ideals of Power, Procreation and Identity in the Age of Modernity (Palgrave Macmillan)
- Daniel Levy. “Bringing the future back in: temporal registers and the media” in Theorizing Social Memory: Concepts and Contexts (eds. Gerd Sebald and Jatin Wagle). Routledge. 71-83.
- Daniel Levy. “Memory and Cosmopolitanism: A Figurational Approach” in The Ashgate Companion to Memory Studies (ed. Siobhan Kattago). Ashgate. 211-224.
- Michael Kimmel and The Stony Brook Sexualities Research Group. 2014. Sexualities: Identities, Behaviors, and Society, 2 nd Edition, Oxford University Press.
- Pandolfelli, Lauren, John M, Shandra and Juhi Tyagi. 2014. ‘The International Monetary Fund, Structural Adjustment, and Women's Health: A Cross-National Analysis of Maternal Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa.’ The Sociological Quarterly Vol 55 (1): 119-142.
- Michael Restivo and Arnout van de Rijt. 2014. “No Praise Without Effort: Experimental
Evidence on How Rewards Affect Wikipedia’s Contributor Community.”
Information, Communication and Society
- Eran Shor, Arnout van de Rijt, Charles Ward, and Steven Skiena. 2014. “Time Trends
in Printed News Coverage of Female Subjects, 1880-2008.” Forthcoming in
- Eran Shor, Arnout van de Rijt, Charles Ward, and Steven Skiena. 2014. “A Computational Analysis of Female Subjects’ Coverage in Liberal and Conservative Newspapers.” Forthcoming in Social Science Quarterly 95(5):1213-29.
- Arnout van de Rijt, Soong Moon Kang, Michael Restivo and Akshay Patil. 2014. “Field
Experiments of Success-Breeds-Success Dynamics." Forthcoming in
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- Bogdan Vasi, David Strang and Arnout van de Rijt. 2014. “Tea and Sympathy: The Tea Party Movement and Republican Pre-commitment to Radical Conservatism in the 2011 Debt Limit Crisis.” Mobilization 19(1):1-22.
- Ulrich Beck and Daniel Levy (2013) "Cosmopolitanized Nations: Reimagining Collectivity in World Risk Society" in Theory, Culture and Society 30 (2): 3-31
- Sharada Srinivasan and Juhi Tyagi, ‘The descent of man.’ The Hindustan Times.
- Saïd Arjomand & Nathan J. Brown. 2013. The Rule of Law, Islam and Constitutional Politics in Egypt and Iran. State University of New York Press.
- Josh Murray, Arnout van de Rijt and John M. Shandra. 2013. "Why They Juice: The Role
of Social Forces in Performance Enhancing Drug Use among Professional Athletes."
- Gabriela Gonzalez Vaillant, The Politics of Temporality: An Analysis of Leftist Youth Politics and Generational Contention. Social Movements Studies Vol. 12, Issue 4, 2013.
- Pandolfelli, Lauren E. and John M. Shandra. 2013. "The African Development Bank, Structural Adjustment, and Child Mortality: A Cross-National Analysis of Sub-Saharan Africa." International Journal of Health Services 43: 337-361.
- Arnout van de Rijt, Eran Shor, Charles Ward and Steven Skiena. 2013. "Only Fifteen Minutes? The Social Stratification of Fame in Printed Media." American Sociological Review 78(2):266-89.
- Arnout van de Rijt. “Selection and Influence in the Assimilation Process of Immigrants.” Advances in Group Processes 30: 157-93.
- Afife Idil Akin, Carlos Encina, Michael Restivo, Michael Schwartz and Juhi Tyagi. 2012. "Old Wine in a New Cask? Protest Cycles in the Age of the New Social Media." 13(1):89-130.
- Saïd Arjomand. 2012. "A Decade of Reformists and Islamists in Power in the Islamic Republic of Iran." Pp. 205-19 in Samer S. Shehata (Ed.), Islamist Politics in the Middle East, New York: Routledge.
- Diane Barthel-Bouchier. 2012. Cultural Heritage and the Challenge of Sustainability. Walnut Creek CA: Left Coast Press.
- Diane Barthel-Bouchier. 2012. "Exportability of Films in a Globalizing Market: The Intersection of Nation and Genre." Cultural Sociology 6:75-91, DOI:
- David Brady and Rebekah Burroway. 2012. “Targeting, Universalism and Single Mother Poverty: A Multi-Level Analysis Across 18 Affluent Democracies.” Demography 49: 719-46, DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13524-012-0094-z
- Rebekah Burroway. Forthcoming, 2012. “A Cross-National Analysis of Sex-Specific HIV Prevalence Rates and Women’s Access to Property, Land, and Loans in Developing Countries." International Journal of Sociology 42(2): 47-67, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/IJS0020-7659420204
Ivan Chase. 2012. "Life Is a Shell Game."
- Bethany Coston and Michael Kimmel. 2012. "Seeing Privilege Where It Isn't: Marginalized Masculinities and the Intersectionality of Privilege." Journal of Social Issues 68(1):97-111.
- Toller Erausquin, Jennifer, Monica Biradavolu, Elizabeth Reed, Rebekah Burroway, and Kim M. Blankenship. 2012. “Trends in Condom Use Among Female Sex Workers in Andhra Pradesh, India: The Impact of a Community Mobilisation Intervention.” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health , DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2011-200511
- Crystal Fleming. 2012. “White Cruelty or Republican Sins? Competing Frames of Stigma Reversal in French Commemorations of Slavery.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 35(3): 448-505, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01419870.2011.589526
Crystal Fleming, Mich
èle Lamont and Jessica Welburn. 2012. “African Americans Respond to Stigmatization: The Meanings and Salience of
Confronting, Deflecting Conflict, Educating the Ignorant and 'Managing The Self'.”
Ethnic and Racial Studies
35(3): 400-417, DOI:
- Gabriela Gonzales, Michael Kimmel, Farshad Malekahmadi and Juhi Tyagi. 2012. "The Gender of Resistance: A Case Study Approach to Thinking About Gender in Violent Resistance Movements." Pp. 55-78 in Linda Åhäll & Laura J. Shepherd (Eds.) Gender, Agency and Political Violence. Basingstoke: Palgrave Publishers.
- Laura Hirshfield and Tiffany D. Joseph. 2012. “ ‘We Need A Woman, We Need A Black Woman’: Gender and Cultural Taxation in the Academy.” Gender and Education 24:213-27, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09540253.2011.606208.
- Michèle Lamont, Jessica S. Welburn and Crystal M. Fleming (eds.). 2012. "Varieties of Responses to Stigmatization: Macro, Meso and Micro Dimensions." Du Bois Review: Social Science Review on Race 9(1): 43-9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1742058X12000033.
- Gary Maynard, Eric Shircliff, and Michael Restivo. 2012. "IMF Structural Adjustment, Public Health Spending, and Tuberculosis: A Longitudinal Analysis of Prevalence Rates in Poor Countries" International Journal of Sociology 42(2). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/IJS0020-7659420201
- Michael Restivo and Arnout van de Rijt. 2012. "Experimental Study of Informal Rewards in Peer Production." PLoS ONE 7 (3) :e34358.
- Ian Roxborough. 2012. "Building other Peoples' States: The Sociology of State-Building." Comparative Sociology 11(2):179-201, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/156913312X631289
- Christopher Sattler and John M. Shandra. 2012. "Do Health Nongovernmental Organizations Improve Child Mortality?" International Journal of Sociology 42(2):28-46, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/IJS0020-7659420202
- Carrie L. Shandra, Dennis P. Hogan, Roger C. Avery, and Michael Msall. 2012. “Child and Adult Physical Disability in the 2000 Census: Disability is a Household Affair”. Disability and Health Journal 5(4):241-248.
- Carrie L. Shandra and Dennis P. Hogan. 2012. “Delinquency among Adolescents with Disabilities.” Child Indicators Research5(4):771-788.
Carrie L. Shandra and Afra R. Chowdhury. 2012. “The First Sexual Experience among Adolescent Girls With and Without
Journal of Youth and Adolescence 41(4):515-532, DOI:
- Carrie L. Shandra, John M. Shandra and Bruce London . 2012. "The International Monetary Fund, Structural Adjustment, and Infant Mortality: A Cross-National Analysis of Sub-Saharan Africa." Journal of Poverty 16(2):194-219, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10875549.2012.667059.
- John M. Shandra. 2012. "Health in a Cross-National Context: A Collection of Quantitative Studies." International Journal of Sociology 42(2):3-4, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/IJS0020-7659420200