Registration and Scheduling
BA in Biology
Summer/Fall 2018 Registration:
It is that time again! Registration for Fall will be starting shortly. We are recommending that you prepare carefully ahead of time. We have posted information on this page that should help you plan for the upcoming semester.
Updates on BIO Course Offerings
- For any registration issues/requests, please contact Lynette Giordano ( Lynette. Giordano@stonybrook.edu) . Emails must include your Student ID number.
- Students can enroll themselves in BIO 335 on SOLAR. Pre-requisites (BIO major with Neuroscience specialization declared, C or higher in BIO 203, C or higher in BIO 205/7, and Physics 2). If you do not meet the pre-requisites but want to take the course, please email Lynette with your name and Student ID number to be added to the waitlist. Priority registration is given to students in the Neuroscience specialization.
- BIO 299 (Advanced Microbiology for Nursing and Allied Health) is being offered in Summer 2018 . This is a 4 credit lecture/lab course which is designed to fulfill the microbiology with lab pre-requisite for Allied Health programs. This is NOT accepted toward the Biology major. BIO 366 (Molecular Microbiology Laboratory) is being offered in Fall 2018. This course is strictly for Biology majors who have received a C or higher in BIO 205 or BIO 207, and a C or higher in BIO 315. Pre-requisites are strictly enforced.
- Reminder: PHY 121 and PHY 122 are now 4-credit courses (increased from 3 credits). The PHY 123 and 124 labs (previously 1-credit courses will be incorporated as the 4th credit in PHY 121 and PHY 122 and will no longer be offered separately.
- Reminder: The following biology courses will be changing course code beginning in the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 Academic year:
- -Human Genetics: BIO 302 will be listed as EBH 302
- -Advanced Human Genetics: BIO 303 will be listed as EBH 370
- -Genomics: BIO 304 will be listed as EBH 380
- -Genomics Laboratory: BIO 305 will be listed as EBH 381
- -Behavioral Ecology: BIO 359 will be listed as EBH 359
- -Evolution of the Human Brain: ANP 316 will be listed as EBH 316
*All re-designated courses will still be accepted toward the BIO major as before*
BIO Advising Appointments:
BIO advising appointments can be made in SSC Campus. Please note that we will not be accepting walk-in appointments.
Biology Course Retake
Please note new university rules for course re-take permission:
- Students taking a course for the second time will no longer need advisor permission. Students that are enrolling in retakes will need to wait until mid-August to enroll, pending seat availability at that time.
- The current policy of petitioning for re-take permission through Academic Advising for a third or more attempt remains in place
Biology Course Registration Issues - See Lynette Giordano
If you have any problems registering for BIO courses, then make sure to contact Lynette
Giordano immediately (location 109 CMM/BLL - email
firstname.lastname@example.org - phone 631-632-8530). Some of our courses (i.e., BIO 201, BIO 202, BIO 205, BIO
207, BIO 315, BIO 358) may have reserved seats. Some courses (e.g., BIO 475, 476,
486, 487, 488, 489) will require departmental permission. Ms. Giordano can assist
you with any such issues. Certain BIO lab courses (BIO 335 and BIO 365) also require
students to contact Ms. Giordano for enrollment permission.
If you have questions about registration for chemistry courses, please contact Katherine Hughes ( email@example.com)
Course Offerings by Semester
You may want to see the history of Biology Major/Minor course offerings over the last several years. If you are considering postponing a course until next year, then this file may suggest when it will be offered again. You should always double check with a Biology Advisor.
Declaration of Specialization
All Biology majors must officially declare a specialization before graduation. As noted above, registration in some courses can depend on your declared specialization. Students may stop by the Undergraduate Biology program office after March 26th to fill out a major declaration form. Major/specialization changes at that time will be effective for the Summer 2018 semester.
Summer/Fall 2018 Degree Candidates
Summer/Fall Degree Candidates: Please make sure to submit your completed Upper Division Writing Requirement Form and graded lab report/term paper to us as soon as possible. If no re-writes are required, this step may take 3-4 weeks. We will not be able to clear you for graduation until all requirements have been met.