Registration and Scheduling
Past Course Offerings by Semester - May suggest what term a course may be offered in the future. Always confirm with a Biology Advisor if you have questions.
Course Evaluations - Previous semester course evaluations to help students make decisions on course planning.
Pre-Health Advising - Information available on information for students interested in pre-health fields like prerequisite courses required, recommended coursework, and resources.
If you have any problems registering for BIO courses, then make sure to contact us immediately at BIO_Registration@stonybrook.edu. Emails must include your Student ID number.
If you have questions about registration for chemistry courses, please contact Katherine Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Important BIO updates for the Winter and Spring 2024 semesters
Check the course format on SOLAR when registering. It is important to look at the format of the course (in person, online, hybrid) and the schedule of common exams when planning your schedule. If in person, confirm the campus on which the course is meeting.
Course Scheduling Updates:
- BIO 204 will be offered in spring 2024 and in Summer 2024 Summer Session 1 . BIO 205 will be offered in Spring 2024 and BIO 207 will be offered in Summer 2024 Summer Session 1 . Please note that BIO 204 and BIO 207 are both being offered in Summer session 1. Therefore, students will not be able to complete the entire introductory biology lab sequence in Summer 2024.
- BIO 299: Advanced Microbiology for Nursing and Allied Health will not be offered in Winter 2024.
BIO SPK requirement: The most common path for students within the Biology Major to fulfill the SPK requirement is co-registration of BIO 204 and BIO 458. BIO 458 is a zero credit, S/U graded course, which would be passed based on a student's performance in three public speaking assignments already included in BIO 204's curriculum. Please note, in order to fulfill the SPK requirement with BIO 204, the student MUST register for BIO 458 (Section T01) with Dr. Marvin O'Neal in the Spring 2024 semester. For more information, visit SBC Curriculum for Biology Majors.
BIO WRTD Requirement: In order to satisfy the Upper-Division Writing requirement for the major in Biology, you must co-register for the 0-credit BIO 459 course with an approved advanced course. If you have yet to complete your WRTD requirement and plan to register for one of these advanced courses, plan to register for BIO 459 at the same time as you are registering for the respective advanced course during your enrollment appointment. For more information, visit Upper Division Writing Requirement.
Courses available for the WRTD requirement
Spring 2024: BIO 320, 321, 327, 344, 356, 365, 385, and 386
Biology Course Retake
Please note university rules for course retake permission:
- Students taking a course for the second time will not need advisor permission. Students that are enrolling in retakes will need to wait until the retake registration date to enroll, pending seat availability at that time. Dates can be found on the University Academic Calendar.
- The current policy of petitioning for re-take permission through Academic and Transfer Advising Services (ATAS) for a third or more attempt remains in place.
- Students who would like to retake a course can waitlist before the retake registration date, but will not be enrolled in the course until that date.