Undergraduate Biology Program at Stony Brook
Mission: Provide a rigorous, engaging Biology curriculum that develops an interdisciplinary understanding of the living world and links learning to the excitement of discovery.
- Together with faculty from the life sciences departments, provide coherent course sequences that meet student demand and enables timely progress to graduation.
- Mount and staff introductory laboratory courses in biology, and provide technical support for advanced laboratory courses.
- Provide student services including orientation, academic advising, transfer course evaluation, clearance for graduation, and alumni contact.
- Help faculty with course scheduling, student registration, exam administration, and grade reporting.
- Continually improve student success by regular assessment of all these activities.
- Students will have access to course sequences needed for a full education in biology and timely progress towards their degree.
- Laboratory courses will receive the technical support that allows instructors and students to focus on learning outcomes.
- Students will receive the information and academic advice they need to succeed, while making best use of available resources.
- Faculty will have access to facilities that meet their instructional needs and to adminstrative support that lets them focus on student learning.
- Regular assessment of all courses and specializations in the Biology Major will ensure that the curriculum remains rigorous and informed by new discoveries.