State Classified Sick Leave at Half Pay
Classified employees may be eligible for Sick Leave at Half Pay when they are absent due to a personal illness and have exhausted all their available leave credits.
- To request sick leave at half pay:
- An employee needing Sick Leave at Half Pay must submit the request in writing to his or her supervisor/department head and/or Human Resource Services. Acceptable medical documentation must also be provided.
- The employee has a personal illness, and provides acceptable medical documentation on a continuous basis for the duration of the leave.
- The employee has a cumulative year of State service.
- All available leave credits must be exhausted. This includes sick leave, vacation, personal leave, holiday compensatory time and all overtime compensatory time. Leave credits are considered to be exhausted when the total balance is less than the number of hours in the employee's normal work day.
- Must be eligible to accrue leave credits.
- The employee must have permanent or contingent permanent status as of the day the Sick Leave at Half Pay is to begin.
Amount of Sick Leave at Half Pay Entitlement
- Employees accumulate sick leave at half pay entitlement based on years of service. Accrued sick leave at half pay entitlement may only be used once.
- For Example:
- An employee with 2 years of service (entitled to 4 pay periods of sick leave at half pay) uses 2 pay periods of sick leave at half pay, the following year (3 years of service) the employee would be entitled to 4 pay periods of sick leave at half-pay:
- 3 years of service = 6 pay periods of sick leave at half pay entitlement Minus 2 pay periods of sick leave at half pay used the previous year.
- Sick leave at half pay entitlement accumulates at the rate of one pay period for each complete six months of State service.
- Time spent on sick leave at half-pay counts as service towards eligibility for additional sick leave at half pay.