Temporary Staffing Frequently Asked Questions

What if the temp doesn't work out?
In this situation the department should contact Recruiting, ask for the temp assignment to be ended with a replacement. The Temp Agency will contact their employee to advise them of the assignment end. The supervisor should collect any and all University/RF property provided including the ID Badge. Additionally, if any computer account(s) were established, the department is responsible to close the account(s).
How will I pay for temporary services?
Through journal transfer charged as a contractual service. All on-contract temp assignments are posted to an open HRS purchase order then funds are journal transferred to pay for the invoice based on time sheets signed-off by the supervisor.
What if I am using CPMP funds?
Please contact your Department Administrator and arrange for them to place a temp staff personnel and liaison between CPMP and department for payment of services.
What if I need a temp in a title not covered by the contract?
Recruiting & Employment Services have multiple contract in which we work with Procurement to help get you the temp you need at the best price available to us. In the rare event that a title not covered by the contract, Recruiting & Employment Services will contact local agencies that employ temps with your specialty required and put the request out to bid with various local agencies.
Once bids are received, Human Resource Services will advise the "hiring" department of the agency selected based on bill rate, ability to fill with a quality candidate and willingness to service us an employee. A Temp Agency Staffing requisition must be completed and submitted to Recruiting & Employment Services. Recruiting will request a P.O. number from Procurement and will notify the department of this as soon as it is received if a new one needs to be generated. Recruiting will also provide this P.O. number to the Temp Agency for proper billing purposes.
Where RF Funds differ, the department must complete and forward to Recruiting a new Purchase Requisition. Please direct all inquiries to Recruiting in regards to completing. This must be received prior to placement of temp staffing personnel.

Please contact Recruiting at (631) 632-1129 with any additional questions.

Stony Brook University and The Research Foundation of SUNY are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.