Domestic Student Information
Student Health Insurance Plan
All full-time, matriculated, domestic students at Stony Brook are automatically billed for the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) at the beginning of each semester. The cost of the Student Health Insurance Plan is $403.00 for the Fall semester (coverage from August 16, 2008 through January 15, 2009) and $556.00 for the Spring semester (coverage from January 16, 2009 through August 15, 2009). This required fee will be posted to your bill.
Students enrolled in the Schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine will be billed for the fall semester; this additional cost reflects the required insurance rider for potential clinical incidents. For more information about this additional coverage, contact your School or Program Secretary.
As a Graduate Assistant (GA), Teaching Assistant (TA), Research Assistant (RA) or Fellow, who has enrolled in one of the Student Employee Health Insurance Plans, you may waive the Student Health Insurance Plan. Waivers must be completed at the start of every academic year by the due date. The due date for Fall 2009 waivers is September 28, 2009.
Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver Instructions
- Go to the home page of your SOLAR account and look for insurance waivers under Student Financial Services on the menu bar (lower left of the screen).
- Click on SHIP Request for Waiver.
- Indicate your Grad Type as TA, GA or RA (Fellow).
- Go to Dept ID and use the drop down box (in the shape of a small magnifying glass) to input your academic department, by bringing up the description field.
- Key in the first three letters of your academic department in this field and hit Look Up.
- Key in your appointment start and end dates in the fields titled Assistantship Start Month and Assistantship End Month. Again use the drop down box and when the Month Display field opens do NOT put anything in this field, simply hit Look Up and a list of months will appear.
- Submit the waiver (PLEASE WAIT! The system will provide an immediate acceptance message if the waiver has been processed. If you receive an edit message of any type, please be advised that your waiver was NOT processed and you will need to attempt the waiver again or contact the office listed below).
If you are unable to complete the waiver online or have questions about the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or the waiver please contact the Student Health Insurance Office in the west campus Student Health Center (map), 9:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday at 632-6331 or SHO-RSHIP@notes.cc.sunysb.edu.
You are responsible to know which health insurance plan you are covered by (your alternate insurance), submitting waiver requests by the deadline, paying all fees and charges on your student account on time, and maintaining a current record of address with the Human Resource Services Office. The semester charge for the Student Health Insurance Plan will remain posted to your University account and must be paid, unless you complete the waiver request on time.
While this web page is intended to be a useful reference, it is not a substitute for your Group Certificate or handbook. If there are any discrepancies between this web page and handbook or the Group Certificate, the handbook and Group Certificate will prevail.