Skip Navigation

Internship with an International Organization

F-1 International Organization Work Permission is a type of employment authorization for F-1 students who have been offered an internship with a recognized international organization.


A student is eligible to apply for an internship with an international organization as soon as they are in F-1 status. There is no academic-year waiting period or any requirement to be in the student’s field of study.

To be otherwise eligible for employment with an international organization, you must:

  • Have a valid passport and valid I-20
  • Be enrolled in a full course of study during the Fall and Spring semesters
  • Have an employment offer from a recognized international organization such as the United Nations, the World Bank, etc.

The letter should be on the organization's letterhead and specify:

  • The start and end dates of employment
  • Number of hours per week
  • Address of the workplace
  • Name of supervisor
  • Compensation

Conditions of employment

Students may work part-time (20 hours or less/per week) while school is in session and full-time (21 or more hours/week) during vacation periods, provided they will continue their studies in the following semester.

Students cannot participate during the school year if they already have an assistantship or other on-campus employment equaling 20 hours per week.

The employment authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of no more than one year, or until expected date of employment completion or program completion, whichever is shorter.

How to Apply

Step 1: Submit a request in accessVIS
Step 2: Receive an updated I-20 from VIS
Step 3: Prepare your I-765 Application
Step 4: Send your I-765 to USCIS
Step 5: Report the approval of your I-765 to VIS