Skip Navigation

Employment and Training

The U.S. government considers any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit as employment.  

As an international student authorization is required prior to engaging in any form of off-campus paid or unpaid activity (this includes internships, practicums, field work, rotations, volunteer opportunities, etc). If you are in F-1 or J-1 status, you should not begin your off-campus activity until you have received authorization in the form of an updated I-20/DS-2019 from Visa and Immigration Services or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS.

Engaging without authorization or “unauthorized employment” is a serious violation of status and can have an impact on your status and future plans in the U.S.

F-1 Practical Training & Employment Options

On-Campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

STEM OPT Extension

Internship with an International Organization

Severe Economic Hardship

Special Student Relief


Not all job postings on Handshake meet the criteria for "on-campus" employment from an immigration standpoint. It is crucial to consult your International Student Advisor before accepting any job offers to ensure compliance with F-1 or J-1 regulations and avoid any potential risks to your immigration status.