Skip Navigation

Off-campus Cohort Student Information

SPD is pleased to partner with teacher's centers, human services organizations and other organizations to offer our Stony Brook University graduate programs. Here is what you need to know as a cohort student.


Key Terms

  • Cohort: Employees or teacher center members who are taking courses together as a group as part of a contracted program between Stony Brook University and a coordinating or sponsoring organization.
  • GPD:  Graduate Program Director.
  • Sponsor: Refers to the teacher center or organization that is contracting with Stony Brook University's School of Professional Development (SPD).
  • Sponsor Administrator: The representative who manages the payment of their employees or members.
  • SPD:  The School of Professional Development, which offers and administers SUTRA programs for Stony Brook University.
  • SUTRA: Describes the contract between SBU and the participating sponsor; is often used as an adjective to distinguish cohort classes or students.


Cohort Admission Information

  • Prospective students must submit an application adhering to the program’s requirements for admission.  Offers of admission will be made in accordance with SPD Bulletin 's admission requirements and policies.
  • Admitted students are official students of Stony Brook University’s School of Professional Development and are subject to all policies and procedures as outlined in the SPD Bulletin and the University’s Code of Conduct.


Getting Started: New Student Information and Enrollment

  • New cohort students will have an orientation before the start of their first term.
  • Cohort students should visit the New Student Roadmap for Cohort Students  webpage and follow the steps for getting started as an SBU student.
  • The sponsor will provide SPD with a list of eligible students for enrollment. SPD will enroll cohort students into each course, provided they are in good academic standing.
  • Students who choose not to continue with their courses must inform their sponsor prior to the first day of a term. 
  • Attendance will be taken at each class. 


Taking Courses Outside of the Cohort: Campus and/or Online Information

  • Students who need to make up a course outside of their usual cohort enrollment must   self-enroll  via their SOLAR account. They will also be billed directly by the University. For instructions on registration and billing, please review the       New Student Roadmap for Online & On-Campus Students.
  • Note: Any changes to a cohort student's enrollment should always be discussed with the Graduate Program Director and sponsor.
  • Students who will no longer be associated with the sponsor but want to continue in the program as a non-cohort, online and/or on-campus student need to submit a Change of Program form.
  • Courses taken on-campus or online are subject to standard tuition and fees as dictated by the Bursar's Office .


Payment Information

  • Students pay program costs directly to the sponsor in accordance with the deadlines, policies, and procedures set by the sponsor.  For details, students should contact their sponsor's administrator.
  • Full payment or acceptable payment arrangement, must be secured between the students and the sponsor prior to the first scheduled class of each term in order for SPD to enroll the student. Students who are not in good financial standing with their sponsor prior to the first scheduled class should not attend any class until and unless the instructor confirms that they have been formally enrolled and are on the SOLAR roster.



As per the University’s Email Policy: All communication regarding a student and their student record can only occur via the student’s email address. Checking frequently will ensure that you are informed of important and time-sensitive notifications from SPD and the University. Find out how to set-up your email account .

Any communication regarding an applicant or student’s status can only be discussed between the student and the appropriate University representative. Students should be directed to contact their Graduate Program Director with questions regarding their program or the School of Professional Development Records and Admissions regarding policies or procedures.