Master of Arts in Teaching Application
The following required materials must be submitted electronically as a part of your ApplyYourself application Everything listed below is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For admission to any MAT program, the following are required:
- Personal statement. (Guidelines are published on the application website.)
Please attach a personal statement of 750 – 1000 words that is a reflection of your ability to approach graduate-level work successfully, using creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research. Your statement should address the following:
- What is your purpose in pursuing this degree/certificate?
- How have you prepared yourself for this field of study?
- Specifically, how will this degree/certificate assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Describe your research and study interests and any other aspects of your background, skills, or qualifications that would aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your motivation for graduate study.
Your personal statement must be your own original work.
- GRE scores. Arrange to have Educational Testing Services (ETS) send official GRE score reports to Stony Brook University (school code: 2548/Stony Brook SUNY Center). Only the general exam results are required; subject exams are not necessary.
- Official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended. Transcript must indicate the conferral of a bachelor's degree and must confirm that you have the required academic major or course work as described on your program description page (see links below).
- One year of college-level study of a foreign language with a grade of “C” or better (Note: This may include American Sign Language; MAT in Foreign Language applicants have additional language requirements -- please see the individual program page).
- Three letters of recommendation. Two of the three recommendations must be from faculty with whom you have completed a course of study at the college level. It would be preferable that these faculty be in the area of your major. Names and email address of recommenders will be submitted in ApplyYourself. Recommenders will receive a link to upload their letters on your behalf to your application. Only in rare instances will paper recommendations be accepted.
- In those cases where the departmental admissions committee deems it desirable, personal interviews with departmental representatives may be requested.
International Students/Language Requirements
There are additional requirements for international applicants or those for whom English is not their primary language. » View details
Under certain circumstances, promising candidates who lack the required academic preparation may be considered for conditional admission. » Conditional Admissions Policy
How to Apply
To expedite the application and admissions process, please upload and/or send all materials to the SPD contact as required by your program at the time of submission of your application.
- Applications, letters of recommendation, personal statements, and the nonrefundable $100 application fee are submitted online through Apply Yourself .
- Students who take any courses on campus will also be required to send Student Health Service a completed immunization/meningitis form, which must be received before the first day of their first on-campus term. Visit Student Health Service website for more information.
- Transcripts, test results (sent from Educational Testing Services) and any other supporting materials not included in your electronic application can be sent to the intended program directors or coordinators listed below. Please do not send any SPD application materials to the Graduate School.
All materials must be submitted by the published deadlines. Applications submitted after these deadlines will be accepted on a space-available basis. If there is no space available for the requested term, applications will be considered for the following term.
PROGRAM ADDRESSES & Websites
Dr. Nicole Galante
MAT Foreign Language
Please note that we are not accepting applications for the MAT in German at this time.
MAT Social Studies
Charles G. Backfish, Interim Program Director
Judy Nimmo, Administrator
For application procedure questions contact:
School of Professional Development
2321 Computer Science Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794 - 4434
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. Stony Brook University is 100 percent tobacco-free.