Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ookami?
Ookami is a testbed for researchers nationwide to explore future supercomputing technologies and to advance computational and data-driven research on pressing science challenges.
Unique and novel features include:
- First access for US research and first planned install of A64fx outside of Japan
- First CPU worldwide with on-package high bandwidth memory (1 TB/s, 82% peak measured on STREAM triad is 8x Sky Lake socket)
- First CPU worldwide to implement the ARM scalable vector extensions with multiple features to facilitate auto-vectorization
- High CPU performance (2.76dpTFLOP/s, dgemm 94% peak) balanced to match memory speed giving ~0.4 bytes/dpFLOP is unparalleled in modern CPUs (4.6x Sky Lake, 3x NVIDIA V100)
- Green technology with high power efficiency.
What does this mean for science? Compared with the best CPUs anticipated for the deployment era, A64fx offers 2-4x better performance on memory-intensive applications such as sparse-matrix solvers found in many engineering and physics codes. For nearly all other applications performance is also better or competitive.