Requirements for a Minor in Spanish Language & Literature (SPN) [ Printable PDF]
All courses in Spanish offered to fulfill minor requirements must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. At least nine credits of upper-division Spanish courses must be earned at Stony Brook to complete the minor.
Completion of the minor requires 18-24 credits. (see note 1 below)
A. Basic Spanish Language Courses:
SPN 211 Intermediate Spanish I, SPN 212 Intermediate Spanish II (6 credits, or the equivalent proficiency satisfied through permission of the department, or through the placement or the challenge exam).
B. Required Basic Courses (9 credits)
- SPN 311 Spanish Conversation and Composition
OR SPN 310 Spanish Grammar and Composition for students of Hispanic-American background
- SPN 312 Introduction to Literary Studies
- SPN 321 Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition
C. Advanced Elective Courses (9 credits)
THREE other upper-division SPN courses, two of which must be at the 400 level.
1. Those students with enough language proficiency to satisfy requirement A will complete a total of 18 credits. The students who need to take SPN 211 and 212 will complete a total of 24 credits.
2. Major/Minor declararation form
*Revised May 2014