Minor in English
The minor in English allows students to pursue - within a framework of general requirements - their specific interests in one of three areas: British literature, American literature, or Modern & Contemporary literature. Each student's particular choice of courses within these three options must be determined in consultation with the undergraduate English advisor. All courses offered for the minor must be taken for a letter grade and must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. Completion of the minor requires 18 credits.
Requirements for a Minor in English
All courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade and passed with a letter grade of C or higher. Completion of the minor requires 18 credits.
Note: At minimum, EGL 204 + an EGL survey + a 300-level EGL course must be taken at Stony Brook.
A. One core course (3 credits):
EGL 204 Literary Analysis and Argumentation
B. Two of the following survey courses (6 credits):
- EGL 205 British Literature I
- EGL 206 British Literature II
- EGL 217 American Literature I
- EGL 218 American Literature II
- EGL 224 20th-Century Literatures in English
- EGL 226 20th-Century American Literature
- EGL 243 Shakespeare: The Major Works
- EGL 274 African-American Literature
C. Two EGL 300-level courses
D. One additional EGL course (100-300 level)